1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on this dielectric capacitance problem

1. Jun 24, 2004 #1
    The electric field between the plates of a paper-separated (K=3.75) capacitor is 9.41E4 V/m. The plates are 1.75mm apart and the charge on each plate is 0.775E-6C. Determine the capacitance of the capacitor and the area of each plate?

I got the voltage by V=Ed. and that came out to 164.675

Where do i go from there because in order to get capacitance you need to know area, and finding the area of each plate is also a question in the problem. I thought about using C=Q/V, but that doesn't apply for dielectrics. Can someone helpme out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2004 #2
    I think you should be able to use the fact that [itex]E = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0A}[/itex]. This gives you an equation for the area which you can use to determine the capacitance.

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3
    I tried that and that did not work out either, do you have anymore suggestions?

5. Jun 24, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Who says that C = Q/V doesn't apply for dielectrics? It's the definition of capacitance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?