1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused :S

  1. Oct 22, 2009 #1

    Next year i will be starting a Bachelor of Science degree majoring in mathematics in Australia. This degree is just after i finish high school this year and it goes for 3 year.

    I am not sure what to do after i get this degree? I want to get my PhD eventually and do research or attain a university position.

    So i am confused what i have to get after a Bachelor of Science. Do i do Honors, and whats Graduate, is that after a Bachelor of Science.

    I have looked at Cambridge Universities Mathematical Tripos Part III. Is this the same as a Graduate, do i get my Honors first before i do it, and can i start my PhD in America After it?

    Or can i just go from Bachelor of Science in Australia to First Class Honors USyD in Australia and then a PhD in America?

    I really appreciate every ones advice

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    Bachelor->masters->phd is the usual route.
  4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    Didn't anyone tell you that Australia is the only country to have honours?

    You will need Honours IIA or Honours I to go into a PhD Program in Australia. However if you dont get that then you need a masters to go into a PhD Program. So you're better getting a Masters. Especially if you want to go overseas. No other university that I have heard of, other than in Australia, recognises Australian Honours Degrees.

    I'd say don't bother doing honours unless you're going to get First Class Honours.
  5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    Interesting whitay, I was under the impression that overseas universities treat Australian 'honors' year as a 4th year of a bachelor's. i.e. you have to do it to get into a phd program.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    So after i finish my Bachelor i should just go to America to do my masters and then PhD.

    So is a masters just the degree you get when you complete enough graduate courses? How long does it take to complete a masters degree?

    And generally how long does it take to complete a PhD? Is it as long as you want, or until you have made a development in a portion of a branch of mathematics or when you prove a conjecture or do you have to do a certain amount of time?

    Thanks again guys =)
  7. Oct 22, 2009 #6
    You don't do your masters then a phd in the US - you go straight into phd program and they'll give you certificate along the way saying you have a masters degree, if you want it. Only useful if you drop out of the phd program for whatever reason.

    bachelors (including honors) 4 years
    phd 3-6 years. As far as I know there isn't a minimum time. But the first year is usually coursework, so it will probably take you at least 3 years anyway (that's probably an extremely optimistic lower bound).
  8. Oct 22, 2009 #7
    So are you suggesting i should do the 4th year honors course in Australia (through the University of Sydney), then come over to America and start my PhD?
  9. Oct 22, 2009 #8
    I am only an undergraduate student, but yes, I think that is the normal path. If you look at the CVs of Australian professors, all of them have done honors and then gone on to do a phd in the US.

  10. Oct 22, 2009 #9
    Is it possible to get a PhD in 2 years?
  11. Oct 23, 2009 #10
    Yeah most of the PhD programs that I've looked at in Europe require a Masters. So from my perspective Australia Honours would strictly speaking be useless, right?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook