1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused what to do

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    Ok, I had these questions for homework and had no problems with them except this one.

A variety of carrots has a specific heat capacity of 3700J/Kg/K. A saucepan of boiling water is used to raise the temperature of 825g of these carrots to 100 C. The carrots are then drained and immediately transferred to a large amount of ice and water in a plastic bowl. some of the ice still remains when the carrots achieve thermal equilibrium with the ice/water mixture. The specific latent heat of fusion of water is 330kJ/Kg. Calculate the mass of ice that melts during this process.

The only way I know how to work it out is by first calculating the energy put into the carrots using the specific heat capacity equation but we are not given a temperature rise. Should I assume the rise is 100 C. Any help is gratefully received. X
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are told that the carrots--just before they are transferred to the bowl of ice/water--were at a temperature of 100 C. That's the initial temperature of the carrots. Since some ice remains after equilibrium is reached, what must be the final temperature of the carrots?
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    oh i get it now - thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?