Confused why he took B.Tech. instead of B.Sc.

• Thread starter Lakshya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation was about an Indian boy named Shitikanth who was the topper of the IIT-JEE exam and had a strong interest in research in Physics. However, after entering the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology, he chose to pursue a B.Tech. degree instead of a B.Sc. This sparked a discussion on whether the syllabus for both degrees were similar and if it was still possible to do research in Physics after completing a B.Tech. program. Some members mentioned that B.Tech. was seen as more prestigious and rigorous, while others suggested that the choice ultimately depended on the individual's interests and goals. There was also mention of a professor at Yale who had a B.Tech and went on to
Lakshya
I am from a country named India. The most prestigious college entrance exam in this country is IIT-JEE. An Indian boy named Shitikanth was the topper of this examination and also he got 18th rank at IPhO 2008.

He always wanted to do research in Physics but after entering IITs (Indian Institute of Technology), he took B.Tech. instead of B.Sc.

I want to know why he did that. Are the syllabus of both of them similar? Is there any way we can do research in Physics after doing B.Tech.?

Please I really want to know this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lakshya said:
I am from a country named India. The most prestigious college entrance exam in this country is IIT-JEE. An Indian boy named Shitikanth was the topper of this examination and also he got 18th rank at IPhO 2008.

He always wanted to do research in Physics but after entering IITs (Indian Institute of Technology), he took B.Tech. instead of B.Sc.

I want to know why he did that. Are the syllabus of both of them similar? Is there any way we can do research in Physics after doing B.Tech.?

Please I really want to know this.

There was a thread similar to this a few months ago. The poster said that B.Tech was more
"prestigious." He didn't know which path to take (B.Tech or B.Sc), because he wanted to study physics in graduate school, but felt the physics programs weren't as rigorous or reputable as the B.Tech program.

There is a professor Shankar at Yale that received his B.Tech and then earned his PhD in theoretical physics. He has an online course "fundamentals of physics" and a fairly well-known textbook on quantum physics.

Can I know what reply did that poster of that thread got from the other members?

Another thing, is the syllabus same?

Lakshya said:
Can I know what reply did that poster of that thread got from the other members?

Another thing, is the syllabus same?

Someone from India said that he wanted to study Physics in graduate school but was in a B.Tech program because he felt the undergraduate physics programs weren't as prestigious.

I'm not from there, so I don't know anything more than what was implied in the thread...that B.Sc. programs were academically inferior to the B.Tech programs, and if you wanted academic competition and top level education, you were better off in the B.Tech.

I have no personal experience in the matter.

Please, if you clear my doubt. I am damn sure that he was Shitikanth. Did he get any replies from other members? If you do remember them, then please tell any reply that he got.

1. Why did he choose to pursue B.Tech instead of B.Sc?

There could be several reasons for this decision. Some possible reasons could be the availability of better job opportunities, personal interest in technology and engineering, or the influence of family or peers.

2. Is B.Tech more valuable than B.Sc?

It is not fair to say that one degree is more valuable than the other. Both B.Tech and B.Sc have their own merits and can lead to successful careers in different fields. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and goals.

3. Can someone with a B.Tech degree still pursue a career in science?

Yes, absolutely! A B.Tech degree provides a strong foundation in scientific principles and can be useful for pursuing a career in research or development in the field of science or technology.

4. What are the main differences between B.Tech and B.Sc?

B.Tech is a more specialized and practical degree that focuses on the application of scientific knowledge to solve real-world problems. B.Sc, on the other hand, is more theoretical and provides a broader understanding of scientific concepts and principles.

5. Is it common for students to switch from B.Tech to B.Sc or vice versa?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to switch between these degrees. Some may realize that their interests lie in a different field, while others may change their career goals. It is important to choose a degree that aligns with one's interests and goals.