1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with a series problem

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1

Let [tex] \sum a_n [/tex] be a series with positive terms and let [tex] r_n = \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} [/tex]. Suppose that [tex] \lim _{n \to \infty} r_n = L < 1 [/tex], so [tex] \Sum a_n [/tex] converges by the Ratio Test. As usual, we let [tex] R_n [/tex] be the remainder after [tex] n [/tex] terms, that is,

[tex] R_n = a_{n+1} + a_{n+2} + a_{n+3} + \cdots [/tex] ​

(a) If [tex] \left\{ r_n \right\} [/tex] is a decreasing sequence and [tex] r_{n+1} < 1 [/tex], show by summing a geometric series, that

[tex] R_n \leq \frac{a_{n+1}}{1-r_{n+1}} [/tex]​

(b) If [tex] \left\{ r_n \right\} [/tex] is an increasing sequence, show that

[tex] R_n \leq \frac{a_{n+1}}{1-L} [/tex]​

My Solution

(a) The first term [tex] r_{n+1} [/tex] prevails, since it represents an upper bound to other terms of [tex] \left\{ r_n \right\} [/tex] . Then,

[tex] R_n \leq a_{n+1} + a_{n+1}r_{n+1} + a_{n+1}\left( r_{n+1} \right) ^2 + a_{n+1}\left( r_{n+1} \right) ^3 + \cdots = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} a_{n+1}\left( r_{n+1} \right) ^{n-1} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{1-r_{n+1}} [/tex]

(b) The last term [tex] L [/tex] prevails, since it represents an upper bound to other terms of [tex] \left\{ r_n \right\} [/tex] . Then,

[tex] R_n \leq a_{n+1} + a_{n+1}L + a_{n+1}L ^2 + a_{n+1} L ^3 + \cdots = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} a_{n+1}L ^{n-1} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{1-L} [/tex]

1. Did I get it right?
    2. Why use "[tex] \leq [/tex]" instead of "[tex] < [/tex]", since all terms of [tex] \left\{ r_n \right\} [/tex] are smaller then their respective upper bounds?
    3. Isn't an increasing [tex] \left\{ r_n \right\} [/tex] rather contra-intuitive when we consider a convergent series [tex] \sum a_n [/tex], which obeys: [tex] \lim _{n \to \infty} a_n =0 [/tex]?

That's it. Thank you very much!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, it really should be:
    [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} | r_n | < 1[/tex]
    otherwise, it would be possible to sneak in things like [tex]\sum 2^{-2n}[/tex] where [tex]r_n=-2<1[/tex].

Regarding your answers:

If you can assume that [tex]|r_n|[/tex] is decreasing and [tex]|r_{n+1}|<1[/tex]
    You need to use absolute values to make the inequalities work:
    [tex]|\sum_{i=n+1}^\infty a_i| \leq \sum_{i=n+1}^\infty |a_i| \leq \sum_{i=n+1}^\infty |a_n r_{n+1}^{i-n-1}|=\sum_{i=1}^\infty |a_n| |r_{n+1}|^i[/tex]
    You have the right idea, but what you have is not true if [tex]r_{n+1}[/tex] is positive and [tex]a_n[/tex] is negative.

There is a similiar issue with your second answer.

Regarding the use of [tex]\leq[/tex] rather than [tex]<[/tex]:
    Constant sequences are often included in the notion of decreasing or increasing sequence, so there may be equality rather than strict inequality.

Regarding the existance of increasing [tex]{r_n}[/tex]
    Consider, for example the possibility that [tex]r_n=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}[/tex]. It's pretty easy to see that the limit [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} r_n = \frac{1}{2}[/tex] and that [tex]\{r_n\}[/tex] is increasing. However, since all of the [tex]r_n[/tex] are positive and less than [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] we have:
    [tex]0< r_n < \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]a_n=a_{n-1}\times r_{n-1}[/tex]
    [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} a_n = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} (a_0 \times \prod_{j=0}^{i} r_j) < \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} (a_0 \times \prod_{j=0}^{i}\frac{1}{2}) = a_0 \times \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} = 2a_0[/tex]
    which means that although [tex]\{r_n\}[/tex] is increasing the sum is convergent.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?