Unlocking the Mystery of Center of Gravity (CoG) and Center of Mass (CoM)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of center of gravity (CoG) and its relationship to stability. The participants are trying to understand why a lower CoG is more stable than a higher CoG. They discuss using the momentum equilibrium equation and moments of equilibrium to understand this relationship. They also consider the role of force and impulse in determining stability. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how the location of the CoG affects the energy and dynamics of an object, ultimately leading to the conclusion that a higher CoG makes an object less stable.
Lisciu
Hello everyone,

Since yesterday I'm struggling with concept of CoG and of course in CoM.

The problem is that I don't understand why lower to the ground CoG is more stable then CoG more off the ground. On the internet there is batch of information about that but nobody explained it by momentum equlibrium. And that's what I need to understand that because of course i feel that but when i trying to do moments of equilibrium then i don't see this dependence.

For example two drawings:
hGqQhC5.png

From the Moments around the point called "Tilt axis" I compute the equation:

Fl = Wb/2 in both case and I see the depend on the base rather then position of CoG. Can someone explain my what I do wrong? Should I point the force that i attached as a pulling one to the CoG? But it will make no sense from my point because it's like open a door lever task. If i will need to move the force to CoG i will generate less moment and door shouldn't open.

It's make my head blow up. Could someone help me to understand where is mistake?

I also trying to understand why we put sometimes force (not only the weight of itself) in CoG and when we should?

Physics news on Phys.org
Um... What is it you are trying to calculate? You have a force. Is that the only thing you need to know in order to know stability?

Consider how far the force must act to get the block to tip over. Consider this as a function of the height above the floor the CoG is located.

Consider giving the block a smack. That is, impart an impulse. How much impulse would you need to impart to get the block to tip over with the CoG at different heights above the floor?

Dear Mr DEvens,

Honestly I trying only to find why stability of something depends on height of CoG. I know about leverage, opening doors etc. and i totally get it. But thing i don't know is how it works in math way in case of this box. Because when I take the moment force around the tip point, then i don't have in moment arm the height for Weight of the block. So it's hard to understand why it actually depends on the position of CoG.

Lisciu said:
Dear Mr DEvens,

Honestly I trying only to find why stability of something depends on height of CoG. I know about leverage, opening doors etc. and i totally get it. But thing i don't know is how it works in math way in case of this box. Because when I take the moment force around the tip point, then i don't have in moment arm the height for Weight of the block. So it's hard to understand why it actually depends on the position of CoG.

So, you answered my questions? What were the answers?

1. I don't think I need something more. If you mean the friction i want to neglected this case and keep it simple. Even with friction there will be no arm as a height of force from CoG. In my example the height of the box is important not the height of CoG and that is the problem.

2. I don't want to go to dynamics with this. Just simple statics.

I am not a physics guy so apologize if I don't understand you.

Sigh. Ok, under what circumstances will the block tip over? What exactly has to happen for the block to tip over? And how does that change when the height of the CoG above ground changes?

To be as blunt as I am going to be, where will the CoG be relative to the corner you have called "tilt axis" when the block starts to fall over?

Try re-drawing the diagrams with the two blocks tilted so that their centres of gravity are vertically above the pivot points .

Update : D.Evans is saying same thing - I missed by a button press !

Likes CWatters
The force of pulling need to be larger then moment from the weight. And it will going to fall when the CoG will be further then tilt axis. But still I don't understand this...

Lisciu said:
The force of pulling need to be larger then moment from the weight. And it will going to fall when the CoG will be further then tilt axis. But still I don't understand this...

So how far does the CoG have to move to be over the tilt axis? And does this depend on how far it is from the floor? And how does it affect motion of the block?

Draw the picture with different height CoG. How far does the block rotate with a high CoG compared to a low CoG?

yt0jyIs.png

It's travel more where the CoG is lower and of course I knew that. But i don't now why from vector and analytical way. But why it will fell down when the CoG get further then axis of tilt?

Your diagrams are not very good. You have the same angle for both. And you have the CoG past the corner in both cases. It will be a different angle with a different height above the floor.

How much must the CoG move *UPWARDS* in each case? And what does that mean about *ENERGY*? Stability is a dynamic thing.

Lisciu said:
yt0jyIs.png

It's travel more where the CoG is lower and of course I knew that. But i don't now why from vector and analytical way. But why it will fell down when the CoG get further then axis of tilt?

Once the CoG moves to the right of the green circle as the box is tilted, the box will fall over clockwise unless restrained by another force acting to the left.

The higher the location of the CoG is above the base of the box, the less tilting you need to topple the box over. This is why we say that a high CoG makes things less stable. (This works with botes, too, not just boxes.)

Lisciu said:
2. I don't want to go to dynamics with this. Just simple statics.
But simple statics won't give you the answer, because regardless of the height of the CoG, as long as it is the same distance horizontally from the tilt axis, it takes the same force to cause the object to be on the verge of tilting about the lower corner. So for any force F up to a limiting value, the object is at rest, that is , the sum of forces (including the weight, force F, and the normal force) and sum of torques about the pivot(including torque from the normal force, which shifts from center to corner as the load increases ) is 0.
Now when the applied force exceeds the static limit, that is, when it exceeds Wb/2l, now the box is unstable and starts to tilt and rotate and angularly accelerate. The previous responses explain why then the height of the cg becomes important in keeping the cg left of the tilt axis until release of the applied force.

1. What is the difference between Center of Gravity (CoG) and Center of Mass (CoM)?

The Center of Gravity (CoG) is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed in all directions, while the Center of Mass (CoM) is the point at which an object can be balanced or suspended without any rotation. In simpler terms, CoG is the point where the force of gravity acts on an object, while CoM is the point where the mass of an object is concentrated.

2. Why is understanding CoG and CoM important in science?

Understanding CoG and CoM is important in science because it allows us to analyze the stability and balance of objects. It also helps in designing structures and vehicles, predicting motion and stability in sports and other activities, and understanding the behavior of fluids.

3. How do you calculate CoG and CoM?

CoG and CoM can be calculated using the formula, CoM = ∑(mᵢrᵢ)/∑mᵢ, where mᵢ is the mass of each individual particle and rᵢ is the distance of that particle from the chosen origin point. For CoG, the formula is CoG = ∑(mᵢrᵢ)/∑mᵢg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can CoG and CoM change for an object?

Yes, CoG and CoM can change for an object if the distribution of its mass changes. For example, if an object loses or gains mass, or if its shape changes, the location of its CoG and CoM will also change.

5. How does CoG and CoM affect the stability of an object?

The lower the CoG of an object, the more stable it is. This is because a lower CoG means that the weight of the object is distributed closer to the ground, making it less likely to tip over. Similarly, a lower CoM also contributes to the stability of an object, as it allows for easier balancing and reduces the effect of external forces such as wind or movement.