What is the identity of a3 + b3 + c3 in math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an identity and whether there is one for the expression a3 + b3 + c3. It is determined that there is no such identity, and Fermat's Last Theorem is mentioned as a possible reason why.
phymatter

Homework Statement

what is the identity of a3 + b3 + c3
i am getting a bit confused please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

phymatter said:

Homework Statement

what is the identity of a3 + b3 + c3
i am getting a bit confused please help!
I don't know what you are asking. An identity is an equation that is always true. What you have isn't an equation, so can't be an identity.

If you are asking is there some identity that involves the sum of three cubes, I don't recall seeing one like that.

Are a, b, and c arbitrary integers?

First off, what you wrote out is no identity or an equation, this is an expression. Secondly, if it were to be like this:

a3+b3=c3It would still be impossible if a, b, and c were 3 positive integers based on Fermat's Last Theorem.

1. What are math identities?

Math identities are mathematical equations or expressions that are always true, regardless of the values of the variables involved. They are often used to simplify or solve more complex equations.

2. How do I know when to use a math identity?

Math identities can be used when you are trying to simplify an equation or expression and you notice that it contains a pattern that matches a known identity. You can also use them when trying to prove the equivalence of two expressions.

3. What are some common math identities?

Some common math identities include the distributive property, the commutative and associative properties, the Pythagorean theorem, and the quadratic formula.

4. How can I remember all these math identities?

It can be helpful to create flashcards or a cheat sheet with the most commonly used math identities. You can also practice using them in different equations to help solidify your understanding.

5. Are there any tips for solving problems involving math identities?

It can be useful to first identify the pattern or relationship between the terms in the equation. Then, look for a math identity that matches that pattern. It can also be helpful to simplify the equation as much as possible before applying a math identity.