1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with moments

Tags:
  1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    • Warning: Posting template is required for all homework related questions.
    So i know how to work out moments sorta but i am confused on what i am actually working out. So i get the answer in Newtons a Metre, but what does that mean exactly? And why is it that when i devide the other side of a levers length by this it gives me the force on the other side?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You understand a force as how hard you push on something (and the direction of the push)?
    A moment or torque is how hard you twist something (with the direction of the twist).
    That's all there is to it.

The units comes from the calculation - and that comes from how a linear force can be amplified by a lever.

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Newtons a metre" should mean the same as "Newtons per metre", but torque is measured in Newton-metres. I.e. it's a number of Newtons multiplied by a number of metres, not divided by a number of metres.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted