1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with springs

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    can someone explain to me how springs work?
    I already know the equation of elastic pe= 1/2kx^2 but I need more explanation!!!
    how come when a mass is dropped from a hanging spring I can multiply the mass by 9.8m/s^2 to get the force, then divide the answer by the spring's constant (20n/cm) then divide by two and get the right answer every time but when it is gently let down, I get the right answer without dividing by two and how come these methods do not work when the spring is on the ground and the mass is being dropped from a height?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2
    Your making me confused! I think you should try expressing yourslef more clearly, and people will be better equipted to help you!

Ok, for the P.E. I do not know how in-depth you go into this stuff. PE = -INT(F), that is, the potential energy is ALWAYS the negative integral of the force. Since the force for a spring is -kx, it is apparent where the PE equation comes from. We expect it to be positive all the time, because for all displacements (stretching of the spring) it must have a positive potential, as it stands to gain kinetic energy. Also note for x=o the potential is zeo, as we expect.

I think you want to find the displacement of a mass hanging on a spring. Well, first note that there are two forces acting on the mass. Gravitational force acting down, and th spring acting upwards. Therefore:
    -kx = mg

mg is the force due to gravity, and -kx the force due to the spring. We equate them because when the block comes to rest, the forces must be equal.

Solving for x:
    x = -mg/k

The negative sign just tells us it is displaced downwards.
    I don't know what else you want.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?