Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with square root ODE

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    hi there,
    I'm trying to plot r against [tex]\phi[/tex] by solving the following ODEs using runge-kutta. The problem i'm having is with the square root. How do I know when it will be positive and when it will be negative? If this is a simple question I apologise I'm not that great with the maths :).

E and L and M are constants.
    V^2(r) = \left(1 - \frac{2M}{r} \right)\frac{L^2}{r^2}
    \frac{d \phi}{d \lambda} &= \frac{L}{r^2}
    \frac{dr}{d\lambda} &= \pm\sqrt{E^2 - V^2(r)}

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2
    [itex]\pm[/itex] sign shouldn't be there in the first place. You have to decide whether it is positive or negative sign. Just look back at your model again.
  4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    The model is of a photon's path around a black hole. The [tex]\pm[/tex] is due to the fact that the photons distance from the blackhole can increase and decrease in the same orbit.

I've been advised to differentiate dr/d[tex]\lambda[/tex] to get around the [tex]\pm[/tex] but I am unsure as to how this will solve my problem.

I have the [tex]d^2r/d \lambda ^2[/tex] as [tex]\frac{d^2r}{d\lambda^2} &= \frac{L^2(r - 3M)}{r^4}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook