Sporting Goods for Outdoor Adventurers

In summary: The equation of motion for a particle in a one-dimensional gravity field is ##F=-kx##. However, this equation does not hold in two or more dimensions, since the force then becomes a function of the distance between the particle and the center of the gravity field. But this is something we know that SHM is a one dimensional motion, so i think it makes sense to write F=-kx..since it was observed experimentally that the force is...
Achintya

Physics news on Phys.org
Achintya said:
Summary:: While coming across the general equation of SHM i wondered as to how the concept of Sin fn came into this equation...and how have we replaced k/m with (w^2). ?

This was not hard to find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_harmonic_motion

PeroK said:
but sir my question is on what basis are we assuming this fact.
{\displaystyle \qquad \omega ={\sqrt {\frac {k}{m}}}.}
how would someone guess this...

What's the equation of motion for a block on the end of a horizontal spring?

Achintya said:
but sir my question is on what basis are we assuming this fact.
{\displaystyle \qquad \omega ={\sqrt {\frac {k}{m}}}.}
how would someone guess this...
It's not a guess, it's just shorthand notation.

PeroK said:
It's not a guess, it's just shorthand notation.

can you be more clear...because i read many textbooks and i couldn't find the reason behind this assumption...we just assume it out of no where...

etotheipi said:
What's the equation of motion for a block on the end of a horizontal spring?
Sir that is an example of SHM, so that will definitely follow the general equation of the SHM

Achintya said:
can you be more clear...because i read many textbooks and i couldn't find the reason behind this assumption...we just assume it out of no where...

It's not assumed, it's derived. Write down the full ##F_x = m\ddot{x}## relation for the spring and see where it gets you!

Achintya said:
It's not an assumption, it's a shorthand notation. Physics texts often write:
$$\omega \equiv \sqrt{\frac k m}$$
Where you can read ##\equiv## as "is defined to be".

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
It's not assumed, it's derived. Write down the full ##F_x = m\ddot{x}## relation for the spring and see where it gets you!
sir i have seen the derivation but that does not contain the omega term unless and until we take this assumption

Ah okay, then @PeroK 's right.

In any case say you didn't switch to the shorthand notation, you'd still get ##x=A\cos{(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi)}##. It sort of makes sense that ##\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}## has to be some sort of angular speed since that's what you get if you take the time derivative of the bit inside the ##\cos##! You could try increasing ##t + \Delta t## and showing that to go one more period you need a certain value of ##\Delta t## which has to be the time period, and this makes things a bit more concrete.

just check this out ...the solution of the differential equaltion came in the form of k/m...but it is only after the assumption that k/m=w^2 that we can see the w term in shm general equation
1587541283200.png

Achintya said:
just check this out ...the solution of the differential equaltion came in the form of k/m...but it is only after the assumption that k/m=w^2 that we can see the w term in shm general equation
It's not an assumption.

Likes etotheipi
Start with ##\sin(\sqrt{k/m}\,t)##. At what time has the system advanced 1 radian? 2 radians? 3?

Now, if something has angular velocity ##\omega##, at what time has it advanced 1 radian? 2 radians? 3?

So what's the angular velocity of that first system where ##\sin(\sqrt{k/m}\,t)##?

Achintya said:

Let me try to answer this a different way. Suppose you were telling me about SHM and you wrote down your equation:
$$F = -kx$$
And I asked: "why are you assuming that the motion is in the x-direction?" What happens if the motion is not in the x-direction? Then your equation and everything you are doing is invalid.

Then, I might ask, "why are you assuming the spring constant is ##k##"? What happens if the spring constant is ##2k##? Then all your equations don't work.

How would you answer that?

PeroK said:
Let me try to answer this a different way. Suppose you were telling me about SHM and you wrote down your equation:
$$F = -kx$$
And I asked: "why are you assuming that the motion is in the x-direction?" What happens if the motion is not in the x-direction? Then your equation and everything you are doing is invalid.

Then, I might ask, "why are you assuming the spring constant is ##k##"? What happens if the spring constant is ##2k##? Then all your equations don't work.

How would you answer that?
but sir this is something we know that shm is a one dimensional motion, so i think it makes sense to write F=-kx..since it was observed experimentally that the force is varying linearly with displacement..

Achintya said:
but sir this is something we know that shm is a one dimensional motion, so i think it makes sense to write F=-kx..since it was observed experimentally that the force is varying linearly with displacement..
What happens if motion is in the ##y## direction? How do you know it's in the x-direction?

In other words, why are you using ##x##?

PeroK said:
What happens if motion is in the ##y## direction? How do you know it's in the x-direction?
it hardly makes a difference even if the motion were in the y-direction...what we are sure about is that its a one dimensional motion...isn't it?

Achintya said:
it hardly makes a difference even if the motion were in the y-direction...what we are sure about is that its a one dimensional motion...isn't it?
Exactly, the motion could be in the y-direction. I want you to justify your assumption that motion is in the x-direction. Why use ##x## instead of ##y##?

PeroK said:
Exactly, the motion could be in the y-direction. I want you to justify your assumption that motion is in the x-direction. Why use ##x## instead of ##y##?
so what's the conclusion?

Achintya said:
so what's the conclusion?
The answer is that it's not an assumption, in the sense of something to assume without justification. The motion is assumed to be one-dimensional. It's not an additional assumption that the motion is in the x-direction. We take ##x## to be the direction of motion.

Likewise, we take the quantity ##\omega## to be the quantity ##\sqrt{k/m}##. This is not an assumption.

It's so fundamental to mathematical physics that you can replace a complicated expression with a single letter that it's difficult to explain.

Anyway, if you don't like ##\omega##, then whenever you see ##\omega## just replace it with ##\sqrt{k/m}##. They are equivalent ways of writing the same thing.

PeroK said:
The answer is that it's not an assumption, in the sense of something to assume without justification. The motion is assumed to be one-dimensional. It's not an additional assumption that the motion is in the x-direction. We take ##x## to be the direction of motion.

Likewise, we take the quantity ##\omega## to be the quantity ##\sqrt{k/m}##. This is not an assumption.

It's so fundamental to mathematical physics that you can replace a complicated expression with a single letter that it's difficult to explain.

Anyway, if you don't like ##\omega##, then whenever you see ##\omega## just replace it with ##\sqrt{k/m}##. They are equivalent ways of writing the same thing.

Sir actually the source of confusion here was that the omega already has some physical significance of its own...its not an arbitrary variable...so u see this gives a wrong impression

Achintya said:
Sir actually the source of confusion here was that the omega already has some physical significance of its own...its not an arbitrary variable...so u see this gives a wrong impression

That's a different question. It remains to be shown what physical significance ##\omega## or ##\sqrt{k/m}## has. For the moment they are just two ways of writing the same thing.

The wiki article, for example, goes on to prove that:
$$T = 2\pi \sqrt{m/k}$$
Hence, justifying the definition of ##\omega## in this case.

Likes Achintya
Ok let's see, if you derive the equation of motion you get
$$\ddot{x}=-\frac{k}{m}x$$
wich has as general solution:
$$x(t)=A\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi_0\right)}$$
Ok until here? Let's find now the period ##T##, that is defined as the smallest non-zero time that fulfils ##x(t)=x(t+T)## for ANY value of ##t## so, by definition
$$x(t+T)=A\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t+ \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} T + \phi_0\right)}=A\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi_0\right)}$$
$$\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t+ \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} T + \phi_0\right)}-\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi_0\right)}=0$$
Applying some trigonometric identities
$$2\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2}\right)}\cos{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t+ \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2} + \phi_0\right)}=0$$
The only way this can be true for ANY ##t## is
$$\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2}\right)}=0 \Longrightarrow \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2}=k\pi\Longrightarrow T = 2k\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}$$
Because we want the smalles non-zero time
$$T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}$$
This is the period, then the angular frequency is defined as
$$\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$

Likes vanhees71, Achintya and PeroK
Gaussian97 said:
Ok let's see, if you derive the equation of motion you get
$$\ddot{x}=-\frac{k}{m}x$$
wich has as general solution:
$$x(t)=A\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi_0\right)}$$
Ok until here? Let's find now the period ##T##, that is defined as the smallest non-zero time that fulfils ##x(t)=x(t+T)## for ANY value of ##t## so, by definition
$$x(t+T)=A\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t+ \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} T + \phi_0\right)}=A\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi_0\right)}$$
$$\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t+ \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} T + \phi_0\right)}-\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t + \phi_0\right)}=0$$
Applying some trigonometric identities
$$2\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2}\right)}\cos{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t+ \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2} + \phi_0\right)}=0$$
The only way this can be true for ANY ##t## is
$$\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2}\right)}=0 \Longrightarrow \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \frac{T}{2}=k\pi\Longrightarrow T = 2k\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}$$
Because we want the smalles non-zero time
$$T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}$$
This is the period, then the angular frequency is defined as
$$\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$
Wow..nice .i understand it now

Likes anorlunda
Here is another way to look at this conceptually and without many equations. Imagine a turntable rotating with constant angular speed ##\omega## in the xy-plane. A peg is glued on the turntable at radius ##R## from its center. As you look down (along the z-axis) on the turntable, a set of equations that describes the motion of the peg is ##x(t)=R \cos(\omega t)~;~~y(t)=R \sin(\omega t)##. However if you change your point of view and look at the turntable along the y-axis, you will not see any of the motion along the y-axis. You will only see the peg going back and forth along the x-axis according to ##x(t)=R \cos(\omega t)##. Now imagine a horizontal spring-mass system with ##k## and ##m## chosen by you so that ##\sqrt{k/m}=\omega##. If you set this spring-mass system into oscillation with amplitude ##R## so that at ##t=0## it is at ##x=R##, you will see that the mass and the peg will execute completely synchronized motion.

Likes Achintya

1. What types of equipment are considered "sporting goods for outdoor adventurers"?

Sporting goods for outdoor adventurers can include a wide range of equipment such as hiking boots, backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, water bottles, compasses, and various types of outdoor clothing. These items are essential for outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and backpacking.

2. How do I choose the right size for outdoor gear?

When selecting outdoor gear, it is important to consider the fit and size of the equipment. Most outdoor gear comes in standard sizes, so it is recommended to try on the gear before purchasing. Additionally, many brands provide size charts and guides to help you find the right fit. It is also important to consider the type of activity you will be doing and if you will be wearing multiple layers underneath the gear.

3. What materials should I look for in outdoor gear?

The materials used in outdoor gear are crucial for durability and performance. Look for gear made from high-quality, waterproof materials such as Gore-Tex or nylon. For clothing, consider materials that are breathable and moisture-wicking to keep you comfortable during physical activities. It is also important to check for any eco-friendly or sustainable materials used in the gear.

4. How do I properly maintain and care for my outdoor gear?

Proper maintenance and care of outdoor gear can help prolong its lifespan and ensure it continues to perform well. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and storing the gear. For example, tents and sleeping bags should be stored in a cool, dry place, and hiking boots should be cleaned and dried after each use. It is also important to regularly inspect your gear for any wear and tear and replace or repair as needed.

5. Can I rent outdoor gear instead of purchasing it?

Yes, many outdoor gear retailers offer rental options for equipment such as tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags. This can be a cost-effective option for those who only go on occasional outdoor adventures. However, if you plan on participating in outdoor activities frequently, investing in your own gear may be a better option in the long run.