How Much Work Is Done When Pulling a Sled at an Angle?

In summary: You need to show your working.In summary, the question asks for the amount of work done on a sled pulled at an angle of 26.0° from the ground with a force of 74 N over a distance of 27 m. Using the equation W = f x s x Cos, the work is calculated to be 1292.54, but this may be incorrect without knowing if the sled is being pulled over flat ground or up an incline. It is important to show your working to avoid common errors.
joesmith273

Homework Statement

A sled is pulled across the barren winter landscape at an angle of 26.0° from the ground with a force of 74 N. If the sled is pulled over a distance of 27 m, how much work was done on the sled? Round your answer to two decimals

Homework Equations

W = f x s x Cos

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the force , 74, times 27 to get 1998. Then I multiplied 1998 by the cosine of 26 to get 1292.54 but it says that it's wrong. My teacher told me to think about the displacements but I don't get his meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
joesmith273 said:
Then I multiplied 1998 by the cosine of 26 to get 1292.54

You multiplied by cosine of 26 what ? Radians or degrees?

Likes CWatters
joesmith273 said:

Homework Statement

A sled is pulled across the barren winter landscape at an angle of 26.0° from the ground with a force of 74 N. If the sled is pulled over a distance of 27 m, how much work was done on the sled? Round your answer to two decimals

Homework Equations

W = f x s x Cos

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the force , 74, times 27 to get 1998. Then I multiplied 1998 by the cosine of 26 to get 1292.54 but it says that it's wrong. My teacher told me to think about the displacements but I don't get his meaning.
Is the sled being pulled over flat ground or up an incline?

Your method looks fine but see post #2.

Your teachers is talking about a common error but it's one that you didn't make.

1. What does it mean to work at an angle?

Working at an angle refers to performing tasks or completing work in a non-traditional or unconventional manner. This could involve approaching a problem from a different perspective or using alternative methods to achieve a goal.

2. How can working at an angle benefit my work?

Working at an angle can lead to innovative solutions and creative thinking. It allows for a fresh approach to problem-solving and can lead to more efficient and effective results. It can also help break through mental blocks and inspire new ideas.

3. Is working at an angle suitable for all types of jobs?

While working at an angle can be beneficial in many situations, it may not be the best approach for all types of jobs. Some jobs may require following a specific set of guidelines or methods, and deviating from them may not be appropriate. It's important to consider the nature of your work and whether a different approach would be beneficial.

4. How can I incorporate working at an angle into my daily routine?

There are many ways to incorporate working at an angle into your daily routine. You can start by setting aside time to brainstorm or think outside the box, seek out feedback and input from others, and try new methods or techniques. It's also important to be open to new ideas and approaches and to not be afraid to take risks.

5. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to working at an angle?

While working at an angle can have many benefits, it may also come with some challenges. It can be difficult to break out of traditional ways of thinking and may require stepping out of your comfort zone. Additionally, not all ideas or approaches may be successful, so it's important to be open to feedback and adjust accordingly.