Confused . y=x-|x|

1. confused ..... y=x-|x|

The problem is to graph this equation y=x-|x|.

From what I understand of absolute values, this x would be positive. If it is positive then y=0 and there would be no points to graph. Is there something that I am missing? The question is worth 4 points, so I can't see the answer just being 0. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. jcsd
  3. D H

Staff: Mentor

What happens when x is negative?
  4. What I was taught to do when dealing with absolute value, is to rewrite the equation so that the absolute value is isolated, then find the 2 equations.

so you'll have:

and also:
  5. The absolute value of -x would be x. But I remember with inequalities there are 2 possible answers with absolute value (-,+). From what you are explaining it sounds like that is what you are saying to do, use both possible values. Then I would graph by beginning with y at 0 and continue by substituting values into 2x=y? That seems to make sense to me. Thank you both for your help!
  6. Also just try plugging in some numbers:
    For 2 -> Y = 2 - |2| = 0
    For -2 - > Y = -2 -|-2| = -2 -2 = -4
    So for negatives you have Y = 2X, X<0
  7. symbolipoint

symbolipoint 3,427
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Solve or graph y = x - |x|.

If x>0, then y = x - x, meaning y=0.

If x<0, then y = x - (-x) [ notice those are parentheses, not absolute value notation symbols ], meaning y = x + x = 2x.
  8. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 41,264
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely you didn't mean to say that! x itself can be any number. |x| is always positive (or 0- don't forget that!

Why did you switch to x=? If x[itex]\ge 0[/itex] y= x- x= 0. The graph is just the x axis from x= 0 to the right.

If x< 0, don't forget that. Then y= x- (-x)= 2x.

No, no, no! |-x|= |x| which may be eigther x or -x depending upon what x is.

Draw the graph of y= 2x, to the left of x= 0. To the right, the graph is just y= 0, the x-axis.
  9. I rearranged the formula to isolate the absolute value.
  10. Wow, you guys couldn't have made it any more clear for me. Thanks alot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?