Approaching the Confusing Ball Problem: Independent Distribution and Joint PDF

In summary, the Xi's are not independent because their joint probability distribution follows a multivariate Poisson distribution with a fixed mean vector, and the number of empty boxes (y) is also dependent on the values of the Xi's.
sezmin
hey, I am having a lot of trouble approaching this problem:

let m balls be independently distributed into s boxes with equal probabilities
m has a poisson distribution with mean 1/b
let Xi be the number of balls in box i, i = 1,2,...,s
let y = the number of empty boxes
are X1, X2, ... , Xs independent?

i can't really conceptualize a function to describe the Xi's and can't find the joint pdf of X1,X2,...Xs

my thought was that p(Xi) = (1/s)^(Xi) * ((s-1)/s)^(m - Xi)
but, i don't see how that gets anywhere...i would appreciate any advice!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that the Xi's are not independent. To understand why, we need to look at the joint probability distribution of X1, X2, ... , Xs. In this case, the joint probability distribution of the Xi's follows a multivariate Poisson distribution with mean vector (1/b, 1/b, ..., 1/b). This means that the joint probability of observing a particular set of values for the Xi's can be calculated using the formula for the multivariate Poisson distribution. What this also means is that the Xi's are dependent on each other, since their joint probability distribution is not uniform. For example, if X1 is larger than expected, then X2 and X3 are likely to be smaller than expected since the mean vector has a fixed magnitude (1/b). Finally, it is worth noting that the number of empty boxes (y) is also dependent on the values of the Xi's. Since y = m-Sum(Xi), the value of y will be affected by the values of the Xi's. Therefore, we can conclude that the Xi's are not independent.

What is the "Confusing Ball Problem"?

The "Confusing Ball Problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves predicting the behavior of a ball that is rolling on a surface with varying levels of friction.

Why is understanding independent distribution and joint PDF important for the Confusing Ball Problem?

Independent distribution and joint PDF are important for the Confusing Ball Problem because they help us understand the relationship between the different variables that affect the ball's behavior, such as velocity, friction, and angle of the surface.

What is the difference between independent distribution and joint PDF?

Independent distribution refers to the probability distribution of a single variable, while joint PDF refers to the probability distribution of multiple variables together.

How can we apply independent distribution and joint PDF to solve the Confusing Ball Problem?

We can use independent distribution and joint PDF to create a mathematical model that predicts the behavior of the ball based on the different variables involved. By understanding the probabilities associated with each variable, we can make more accurate predictions about the ball's trajectory.

What are some real-world applications of the Confusing Ball Problem?

The Confusing Ball Problem has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a golf ball on a course, determining the path of a basketball on a court, or understanding the movement of a car on a slippery road. It can also be applied in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of objects in motion.