Understanding the Confusing Curl in R2 and R3: An Intuitive Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding the concept of curl in calculus, specifically in relation to Green's theorem and Stokes' theorem. The person is trying to understand the intuition behind the connection between the line integral and double integral of curl, as well as the role of the normal vector in Stokes' theorem. A video is suggested as a helpful resource for further understanding.
medwatt
Hello,
Its been sometime since I touched calculus so some concepts seem to evade me. I understand all the related maths but can't seem to make an intuitive sense of the curl in this case.

Green's theorem relates the line integral of a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of the vector field in the k direction. Here curlF is already in the k direction. The intuitive way I understand this is curlF is perpendicular to the plane and points to a point in space. So the double integral is just integration of this these points over the domain. This integral is the same as the line integral over the boundary of the domain.

The thing is in R3 the curl of the vector field is in all directions. But according to Stoke's therem we should dot that with the vector normal to the plane. The thing is I'm confused why this should be so. It makes it look similar to the divergence theorem except that there there is no curl. So should curlF doted with the normal vector also measure some outward flow (flux) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Stokes' theorem, the flux through a surface S is exactly the same as the work through its boundary, i.e. the curve C.

It's hard to explain without being able to visually show it, so I will link you to this very good video that I think explains what you are asking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iaYNaENVH4#t=122

Question: Have you studied the standard derivation of Green's theorem? That is, have you derived Stokes' theorem and then shown the special case? This might illuminate it for you, somewhat; it did for me, in any case.

1. What is the difference between curl in R2 and R3?

In R2, curl is a scalar quantity that measures the rotation of a vector field around a point. In R3, curl is a vector quantity that measures the rotation of a vector field around a line.

2. How is curl calculated in R2 and R3?

In R2, curl is calculated using a cross product of the vector field's partial derivative with respect to the x and y components. In R3, curl is calculated using a cross product of the vector field's partial derivative with respect to the y and z components, the z and x components, and the x and y components.

3. What are some real-world applications of curl in R2 and R3?

In R2, curl is used in fluid dynamics to calculate the rotation of a fluid flow. In R3, curl is used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

4. Can curl be negative in R2 and R3?

Yes, curl can be negative in both R2 and R3. A negative value indicates that the vector field is rotating in the opposite direction of the axis of rotation.

5. How does curl relate to divergence in R3?

In R3, the divergence of a vector field measures the net flow of the field out of a closed surface. The curl measures the rotation of the field within the surface. If the curl is zero and the divergence is non-zero, the field is said to be solenoidal, meaning it has no net flow but may have rotation. If the curl is non-zero and the divergence is zero, the field is said to be irrotational, meaning it has no rotation but may have net flow.