Calculation of Salt Content in Stirred Tank with Brine Inflow and Outflow

• Thread starter Hydrolyziz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tank of water with dissolved salt. The rate of water and salt entering and leaving the tank is given, and the goal is to find the amount of salt in the tank at any given time. A solution is presented, with the correct integration being crucial for obtaining the final result.
Hydrolyziz

Homework Statement

A tank contains 1000 gal of water in which 200 lb of salt is dissolved. 50 gal of brine, each gallon containing (1 + cos t) lb of dissolved salt, runs into the tank per minute. The mixture, kept uniform by stirring, runs out the same rate. Find the amount of salt in the tank at any time t.

The Attempt at a Solution

dc1/dt + dc2/ dt = 0

Since dc1/ dt = - dc2/ dt then dc1/ dt + 50c/1000 = 0

∫dc/c = -∫1/20 dt

Lower limit for dc/c is 200 and upper limit is c. Then, C = 200e^.05t

But, no (1+cos(t)). Please help

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution. I can see that you have correctly set up the equation for the rate of change of salt in the tank. However, the mistake lies in your integration. The correct integration should be:

∫dc/c = -∫(1+cos(t))/50 dt

Lower limit for dc/c is 200 and upper limit is c. Then, C = 200e^(t/50) + 200cos(t) + C

Therefore, the amount of salt in the tank at any time t is:

c = 200e^(t/50) + 200cos(t) + C

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

1. What is a "Confusing DE word prob"?

A "Confusing DE word prob" is a phrase used to refer to a problem or issue related to the use of words or language in the subject of Differential Equations (DE). This could include confusing terminology, unclear explanations, or complex concepts that are difficult to understand.

2. Why do people find DE words confusing?

Differential Equations can be a challenging subject for many people because it involves mathematical concepts and terminology that may be unfamiliar or difficult to grasp. Additionally, some DE words may have multiple meanings or be used in different contexts, leading to confusion.

3. How can I improve my understanding of DE words?

One way to improve your understanding of DE words is to actively engage with the material, such as by practicing solving problems, asking questions, and seeking clarification when needed. It may also be helpful to consult online resources, textbooks, or seek assistance from a tutor or instructor.

4. Are there any common DE words that are particularly confusing?

Yes, there are some DE words that are frequently cited as being confusing, including terms such as "homogeneous," "particular solution," and "equilibrium." It is important to carefully read and understand the definitions and context in which these words are used to avoid confusion.

5. How can I avoid confusion when using DE words?

To avoid confusion when using DE words, it is important to carefully read and understand the definitions and context in which they are used. It may also be helpful to take notes, create flashcards, or use other study techniques to reinforce your understanding of the terminology.