Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing expression in GR

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    Can anyone help me simplify the expression [itex]\frac{\delta g_{\mu\nu}}{\delta g^{\kappa\lambda}}[/itex]? I haven't seen a term like this before and I don't know how to proceed. It seems like it might be the product of some kronecker delta's but I'm not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You get a pair of Kronecker deltas

4. Jul 21, 2012 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Write the Kronecker delta as δμν = gμα gνα. take the variation: 0 = δgμα gνα + gμα δgνα. Now multiply by gμβ to solve for δgνα.

5. Jul 21, 2012 #4
    This is a functional derivative, defined as follows:
    $$
    \frac{\delta F[g(x)]}{\delta g(y)} \equiv \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}\frac{F[g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y)]-F[g(x)]}{\epsilon}
    $$
    In your case this leads to,
    $$
    \frac{\delta g_{\mu\nu}(x)}{\delta g_{\rho\sigma}(y)} =\frac{1}{2}\Big(\delta_{\mu}^{\rho}\delta_{\nu}^{\sigma}+\delta_{\nu}^{\rho}\delta_{\mu}^{\sigma} \Big) \delta^D(x-y),
    $$
    with D the dimensionality of spacetime. Notice that both sides of the equation have the same symmetries on the indices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook