Solve Confusing Inductor Question: Finding Parts b,c,d - Help Needed

In summary, confusion exists in the understanding of the sign convention for currents and voltages. Without clarification, it is difficult to determine which direction current should flow in order to follow the usual sign convention. After some research, it was determined that the equation for current comes from the sign convention of currents, and that the voltage and current sources must be in opposite directions in order to maintain the correct sign. After finding the current source, the time constant can be determined by integrating the current source over time.
tesla58
Summary: Confusing Inductor question

trouble.png
I've been in trouble with a question for whole days , trouble is finding parts b,c and d.
------
b.png
in the solving of part b WHEN we find i0(t) ,why minus is in front of integral(-1/4 coefficient one) and why +5 why not -5 ? I think it relates passive sign convention but i do not know how to determine it.

c d.png
and also part c VLeq = V3.2 + V0 where does this equation come from ? Please some help and sorry for the bad english and if i open the thread to wrong place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
tesla58 said:
in the solving of part b WHEN we find i0(t) ,why minus is in front of integral(-1/4 coefficient one) and why +5 why not -5 ? I think it relates passive sign convention but i do not know how to determine it.
Voltage and current here do not seem to follow usual sign convention, "current flows from voltage + to voltage -". I think it is the reason why.

tesla58 said:
where does this equation come from ?
It also comes from sign convention of currents. Oposite direction of ##v_{3.2}## and ##v_0## comes from opposite direction definition between current ##i_0## and currents ##i_1## and ##i_2## .

Hint: Determine what element is in black box, and find its value, setting t=0 in the equation v(t)=2000*e^-100t

In my opinion the KVL circulation it has to be:
-3.2*dio/dt+vo+1*di1/dt=0 and if
di1/dt+di2/dt=-dio/dt and 1*di1/dt=4*di2/dt then
dio/dt*(3.2+0.8)=-Vo
At t=0- Vo=0 [the switch is still close].
io[0-]=5
confused inductor.jpg

io=-1/4∫vo|t=0+ to t=t| +5[io t=0-]

I think I found a way. İt is about which one supply power to the circuit and which one receive. So here i1(0)=-6
in the beginning the most big current 6 amp it means that it supply power to the circuit ,according to sign convention current must be the direction of voltage increase and we also should consider that i1 acctually downward.And i0 must receive power so its current direction is direction of voltage drop.Finally we implement KVL
analysis.
ssssss.png

1. guess a really simple component for the black box
2 .then the given v(t) is a big hint once you've found i(0)
3. Verify that your guess is correct by computing a time constant involving the inductors and the black box.

The rest is straight-forward.

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coiled wire and is used to filter and control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. What is the purpose of finding parts b, c, and d in this confusing inductor question?

Finding parts b, c, and d in this confusing inductor question is important because they represent the different values of inductance, resistance, and capacitance, respectively. These values are crucial in understanding and analyzing the behavior of the inductor in a circuit.

3. How do I solve this confusing inductor question?

To solve this confusing inductor question, you will need to use the equations and principles of inductance, resistance, and capacitance. Start by identifying the given values and using the appropriate equations to find the missing values. You may also need to use circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws, to solve the question.

4. What factors can affect the behavior of an inductor in a circuit?

The behavior of an inductor in a circuit can be affected by several factors, including the inductance value, the frequency of the current, the resistance of the circuit, and the presence of other components in the circuit. Additionally, the physical properties of the inductor, such as its size and material, can also impact its behavior.

5. What are some common applications of inductors?

Inductors have a wide range of applications in various electronic devices and systems. Some common applications include filtering and smoothing current in power supplies, tuning radio and TV frequencies, and storing energy in DC-DC converters. They are also used in electric motors, generators, and transformers.