Solving Confusing Log Limit

Which is what I think they meant.Well you could say that the limit does not exist then, but the OP might not have mentioned that they meant the right side limit. Which is what I think they meant.
Jezza

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim\limits_{x \to 0} \left(\ln(1+x)\right)^x[/tex]

Homework Equations

Maclaurin series:
[tex]\ln(1+x) = x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} + ... + (-1)^{r+1} \frac{x^r}{r} + ...[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We're considering vanishingly small [itex]x[/itex], so just taking the first term in the Maclaurin series the limit becomes:

[tex]\lim\limits_{x \to 0} \left(\ln(1+x)\right)^x = \lim\limits_{x \to 0} x^x = \mathrm{undefined}[/tex]

or so I thought until google tells me that [itex]0^0 = 1[/itex].

What's going on here? How can I evaluate the limit properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jezza said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Maclaurin series:
[tex]\ln(1+x) = x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} + ... + (-1)^{r+1} \frac{x^r}{r} + ...[/tex]

We're considering vanishingly small [itex]x[/itex], so just taking the first term in the Maclaurin series the limit becomes:

[tex]\lim\limits_{x \to 0} \left(\ln(1+x)\right)^x = \lim\limits_{x \to 0} x^x = \mathrm{undefined}[/tex]

0^0 is undefined

Because ##0^0## is undefined, you have to take the limit, as was given in the problem.
##\lim_{x\to 0} (\ln(1+x))^x ## can be looked at as a related rates sort of problem...is the log part going to zero faster then the exponent is taking it back out to 1?
In either case, the expected options for the solution should be 0 or 1.
Let's look at this as a sequence:
##\{x_n\} = [ \ln ( 1 + \frac{1}{2^n}) ]^ {\frac{1}{2^n} }##
##\lim_{x\to 0} (\ln(1+x))^x = \lim_{n\to \infty} x_n##
For n = 1, ##x_n= \ln(2)##
Now check the ratio ##\frac{x_n}{x_{n+1}}##. If this is >1, then the sequence is shrinking...if it is <1, then the sequence is increasing.

Jezza said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Maclaurin series:

Let ##F(x) = \left( \ln (1+x) \right)^x##. Then ##L(x) \equiv \ln F(x)## is given by
[tex] \begin{array}{rcl}
L(x) &=& x \ln \left( \ln (1+x) \right) = x \ln( x - x^2/2 + x^3/3 - \cdots) \\
&=& x \ln x + x \ln ( 1 - x/2 + x^2/3 - \cdots) .
\end{array} [/tex]
Thus, ##\lim_{x \to 0} L(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln x ##. You can write
[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln x = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\ln x}{1/x}, [/tex]
and evaluate that last form using l'Hospital's rule.

Ray Vickson said:
Let ##F(x) = \left( \ln (1+x) \right)^x##. Then ##L(x) \equiv \ln F(x)## is given by
[tex] \begin{array}{rcl}
L(x) &=& x \ln \left( \ln (1+x) \right) = x \ln( x - x^2/2 + x^3/3 - \cdots) \\
&=& x \ln x + x \ln ( 1 - x/2 + x^2/3 - \cdots) .
\end{array} [/tex]
Thus, ##\lim_{x \to 0} L(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln x ##. You can write
[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln x = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\ln x}{1/x}, [/tex]
and evaluate that last form using l'Hospital's rule.

Am I missing something because I think you can't apply l'Hospital's rule because lim x>0 lnx is not defined? (We can't approach lnx from the left as it is not defined in the context of real numbers).

Math_QED said:
Am I missing something because I think you can't apply l'Hospital's rule because lim x>0 lnx is not defined? (We can't approach lnx from the left as it is not defined in the context of real numbers).

The original limit cannot be taken from the left, either. When ##x < 0##, ##\ln(1+x) < 0## and ##(\ln(1+x))^x## is undefined for fractional negative ##x## (being a negative raised to a negative fractional power).

Ray Vickson said:
The original limit cannot be taken from the left, either. When ##x < 0##, ##\ln(1+x) < 0## and ##(\ln(1+x))^x## is undefined for fractional negative ##x## (being a negative raised to a negative fractional power).

Well you could say that the limit does not exist then, but the OP might not have mentioned that they meant the right side limit.

1. What is a confusing log limit?

A confusing log limit is a mathematical concept that involves evaluating the limit of a logarithmic function that may seem complex or difficult to understand at first glance.

2. How do I solve a confusing log limit?

The key to solving a confusing log limit is to use logarithmic properties and rules to simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate. This may involve using the properties of logarithms such as product, quotient, and power rules.

3. What are some common strategies for solving confusing log limits?

Some common strategies for solving confusing log limits include rewriting the expression using logarithmic properties, using the change of base formula, and using L'Hopital's rule if the limit involves a logarithm and an exponential function.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a confusing log limit?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool for evaluating logarithmic functions, it is not always necessary or recommended for solving confusing log limits. It is important to understand the concepts and properties involved in order to properly solve the limit.

5. Are there any tips for approaching a confusing log limit?

One helpful tip for approaching a confusing log limit is to carefully examine the expression and look for patterns or ways to rewrite it using logarithmic properties. It may also be helpful to practice solving simpler logarithmic limits before tackling more complex ones.