Calculating Tension in a Pendulum: Problem-Solving Tips and Tricks

In summary: T = mgh + mgh/2 = (3/2)mghIn summary, the tension in the rod when the mass reaches the lowest point of its swing is (3/2)mgh.
vysero

Homework Statement

A mass at the end of a light rigid rod of length (r) is dropped from a position vertically above the pivot point. What is the tension in the rod when the mass reaches the lowest point of its swing?

Homework Equations

PEi +KEi = PEf +KEf and maybe also Acen = V^2/r, maybe fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I managed to solve a similar problem for angular velocity it came out to (2g/r)^1/2 but that was half the height. I know the tension isn't simply mg. I am trying to figure out if I need to start the equation with mg2r = (1/2)MV^2 + V^2/r. Honestly I am stuck, please help.

(Update: for this problem I think W = (4g/r)^1/2 and V = (4gr)^1/2.)
(Update #2: I said that at the bottom of the swing T= (V^2/r)+mg => 4g +mg, is this correct?)
(Update #3: Sorry to waist any ones time. Fnet = ma (a in this case is centripetal) so T = (MV^2/r) + mg = 5mg! I believe this is correct.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have another question which I am stumped on. If say the pendulum starts half-way then:

mgr=(1/2)mv^2
gr=(1/2)v^2
2gr=v^2
v=(2gr)^1/2

Okay so assuming I did the algebra correctly. Can't I now say:
(2gr)^1/2=wr
w=((2gr)^1/2)/r

If this is the case then how is this equivalent to w=(2g/r)^1/2 because if I start off by using a bridge equation and saying mgr=(1/2)m(w^2*r^2) then:
gr=(1/2)(w^2*r^2)
2gr=w^2*r^2
2g/r=w^2
w=(2g/r)^1/2

(Has my algebra gone wrong somewhere or is w=((2gr)^1/2)/r = w=(2g/r)^1/2? Can I just cancel that r even though it is under the square root bracket? Or maybe I can't say that (2gr)^1/2=wr?)

5mg is correct for the first problem.
vysero said:
is w=((2gr)^1/2)/r = w=(2g/r)^1/2?
Indeed it is. (√a)/b = (√a)/(√b2) = √(a/b2).
But you didn't really need to get into sq roots for this problem.
ΔE = mgh = mv2/2
centripetal accn = mv2/r = mgh*2/r

1. What is a confusing pendulum question?

A confusing pendulum question refers to a question that is not clearly stated or is difficult to understand. It may involve complex concepts or use unclear language, making it challenging to answer.

2. How can I better understand a confusing pendulum question?

To better understand a confusing pendulum question, you can break it down into smaller parts and analyze each component separately. You can also ask for clarification or additional information from the person asking the question.

3. Why is it important to avoid asking confusing pendulum questions?

Asking confusing pendulum questions can lead to misunderstandings and miscommunication in scientific research. It is essential to ask clear and concise questions to accurately gather and interpret data.

4. Can a confusing pendulum question be rephrased to make it easier to understand?

Yes, a confusing pendulum question can be rephrased to make it easier to understand. This can involve using simpler language, providing more context, or breaking the question down into smaller parts.

5. How can I improve my questioning skills to avoid asking confusing pendulum questions?

To improve your questioning skills, you can practice asking clear and concise questions, use simple language, and provide context when necessary. You can also seek feedback from others and learn from their questioning techniques.