1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing pendulum question.

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass at the end of a light rigid rod of length (r) is dropped from a position vertically above the pivot point. What is the tension in the rod when the mass reaches the lowest point of its swing?

2. Relevant equations
    PEi +KEi = PEf +KEf and maybe also Acen = V^2/r, maybe fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I managed to solve a similar problem for angular velocity it came out to (2g/r)^1/2 but that was half the height. I know the tension isn't simply mg. I am trying to figure out if I need to start the equation with mg2r = (1/2)MV^2 + V^2/r. Honestly I am stuck, please help.

(Update: for this problem I think W = (4g/r)^1/2 and V = (4gr)^1/2.)
    (Update #2: I said that at the bottom of the swing T= (V^2/r)+mg => 4g +mg, is this correct?)
    (Update #3: Sorry to waist any ones time. Fnet = ma (a in this case is centripetal) so T = (MV^2/r) + mg = 5mg! I believe this is correct.)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2
    I have another question which I am stumped on. If say the pendulum starts half-way then:

mgr=(1/2)mv^2
    gr=(1/2)v^2
    2gr=v^2
    v=(2gr)^1/2

Okay so assuming I did the algebra correctly. Can't I now say:
    (2gr)^1/2=wr
    w=((2gr)^1/2)/r

If this is the case then how is this equivalent to w=(2g/r)^1/2 because if I start off by using a bridge equation and saying mgr=(1/2)m(w^2*r^2) then:
    gr=(1/2)(w^2*r^2)
    2gr=w^2*r^2
    2g/r=w^2
    w=(2g/r)^1/2

(Has my algebra gone wrong somewhere or is w=((2gr)^1/2)/r = w=(2g/r)^1/2? Can I just cancel that r even though it is under the square root bracket? Or maybe I can't say that (2gr)^1/2=wr?)

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5mg is correct for the first problem.
    Indeed it is. (√a)/b = (√a)/(√b2) = √(a/b2).
    But you didn't really need to get into sq roots for this problem.
    ΔE = mgh = mv2/2
    centripetal accn = mv2/r = mgh*2/r

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook