Proving Fibonacci Number as Permutations with Restriction |p(k)-k| \leq 1

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that the number of permutations on the set {1,2,3,...,n} that satisfy the condition |p(k)-k| <= 1 for all values of k is equal to the nth Fibonacci number. To better understand this, consider constructing a permutation where the first number must satisfy the condition and the subsequent numbers must also satisfy similar conditions.
alec_tronn

Homework Statement

Prove that the number of permutations p on the set {1,2,3,...,n} with the property that |p(k)-k| [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, for all 1[tex]\leq[/tex]k[tex]\leq[/tex]n, is the fibonacci number f[tex]_{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I don't understand what it's asking. I thought I knew what a permutation was... but now I'm really confused. Can someone please restate this problem in a way that maybe I could understand? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider constructing one of those permutations, to pick the first number I need to satisfy |p(1)-1|<=1. So p(1) can only be 1 or 2. Similarly p(2) can only be 1,2 or 3. p(3) can be 2,3 or 4. Etc.

What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. It is often represented as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on.

What is the importance of proving Fibonacci numbers as permutations?

Proving that Fibonacci numbers can be represented as permutations is significant in mathematics because it shows the relationship between the Fibonacci sequence and the concept of permutations, which is a fundamental concept in combinatorics and other areas of mathematics.

What does the restriction |p(k)-k| ≤ 1 mean in this context?

The restriction |p(k)-k| ≤ 1 means that the difference between the permutation of the kth Fibonacci number and k itself must be less than or equal to 1. This helps to define a specific set of permutations that are considered valid in this context.

How can the Fibonacci numbers be proven as permutations with this restriction?

This can be proven using mathematical induction, where we show that the restriction holds for the base case (n = 1) and then assume it holds for n = k. We then use this assumption to prove that it also holds for n = k+1, thus proving that the restriction holds for all values of n.

What are the real-world applications of proving Fibonacci numbers as permutations?

While this concept may not have direct real-world applications, it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and can be applied to various fields such as computer science, statistics, and biology. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the relationship between different mathematical concepts.