1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing probability

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1
    this is the problem...
    1. nine horses are entered in a horse race. If you "box" three horses (three are chosen and they can finish in any of the first 3 positions in the race), determine the probability that you will hold the winning ticket.
    -->i tried this one... (3C1*3C2*3C3)/9C3 but my answer is 3/28, which is wrong, it should be 1/14
    2. A drawer contains four red socks and five blue socks. Three socks are drawn one at a time and then put back before the next selection. Determine the probability that
    i. exactly red socks are selected
    --> i did this... [(4C2*5C3) + (4C1*5C4) + (4C0* 5C5)]/9C3 = 27/28, but it is wrong since the answer in the book is 304/729
    ii. at least two red socks are selected
    --> i dont get this one..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are 6 ways of holding the winning ticket and C(9,3) total ways of selecting any three horses for win, place and show.

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    For the Horse problem the answer is 3P3/9C3
    (not sure if it is P cause in portugal we use A but in my calculator it says P it means the number of possible combinations of 3 horses in 3 different places where order counts (3!/(3-3)! = 3!)

The second problem we can deal with it with binommial distribution:
    being x the number of consecutive red socks u take, u have
    n=3; p=4/9
    if u want to know the porbability of getting 1 red sock:
    p(x=1)=3C1*(4/9)^1*(5/9)^2=300/729

for at least 2 red socks
    p(x>1)=p(x=2)+p(x=3)=3C2*(4/9)^2*(5/9)+3C3*(4/9)^3=304/729

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4
    Sorry, my previous solution on the socks problem is wrong. I'm rly sry but i was really sleepy. Binomial distribution doesn't apply cause each act of choosing a sock is not indepandent from the others (Choosing 1 sock makes the probability of the next sock different). I also don't get the first question: do u want the probability of how many red socks?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?