A Puzzling Equation: Will the Block Slide or Not?

In summary: Sorry, I don't understand. Could you please clarify?But the static friction for each interface not only depends on the coefficient, but on the normal force and reaction.It seems to me that there is one block that has the highest normal force and one block that has the minimum one.Could you tell which is which?You can analize the system, regarding which one would slide first as the pulling or pushing force reaches certain value, assuming two extreme conditions:1) All the blocks have the same mass and each pair has a different coefficient of static friction.2) All the blocks have the same coefficient, but each has a different mass.
teo11
Homework Statement
Hey!
This is my first thread so please be kind.
Suppose there are n blocks for instance 3 stacked on top of one another and a force F is applied on the bottom one. Let the blocks from bottom to top be 1,2,3,…,n. Let the friction coefficients be u1, u2,…un. Now I want to know on which surfaces will slipping occur.
Relevant Equations
Newtons laws of motion
So far I have reached a pretty promising equation that if uk * g >= F/(m1+m2+…+mn) then kth block will atleast surely not slide wrt the lower one. But the converse to this that if uk * g < … then it will “surely” slide is wrong!!

Stuck on this from many days!
Thanks (:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

From your description I understand that F is applied to the lowest block. Your pretty promising equation seems to apply to the whole stack !

##\ ##

Welcome, @teo11 !

What uk stands for?
Why?

Something like ##\mu## for block k ?

teo11 said:
Let the friction coefficients be u1, u2,…un.

##\ ##

Likes teo11
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @teo11 !

What uk stands for?
Why?
edited the question
teo11 said:
Homework Statement:: Hey!
This is my first thread so please be kind.
Suppose there are n blocks for instance 3 stacked on top of one another and a force F is applied on the bottom one. Let the blocks from bottom to top be 1,2,3,…,n. Let the friction coefficients be u1, u2,…un. Now I want to know on which surfaces will slipping occur.
Relevant Equations:: Newtons laws of motion

So far I have reached a pretty promising equation that if uk * g >= F/(m1+m2+…+mn) then kth block will atleast surely not slide wrt the lower one. But the converse to this that if uk * g < … then it will “surely” slide is wrong!!

Stuck on this from many days!
Thanks (:
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @teo11 !

What uk stands for?
Why?
Uk stands for friction coefficient of kth block with the lower one, and I reached that eqn by considering common acc as if no sliding was there in whole system because that is the maximum possible acc in any case for a combined system of blocks above kth block and it.

teo11 said:
edited the question

Uk stands for friction coefficient of kth block with the lower one, and I reached that eqn by considering common acc as if no sliding was there in whole system because that is the maximum possible acc in any case for a combined system of blocks above kth block and it.
Normally, ##\mu_k## is the symbol used for the kinetic coefficient of friction.
In our problem, the blocks are not sliding respect to each other initially.
Therefore, we should consider the static coefficient of friction instead, which symbol is ##\mu_s##.

Sorry, what is the meaning of "acc"?

Have you tried a free body diagram of the blocks?

Likes BvU
teo11 said:
But the converse to this that if uk * g < … then it will “surely” slide is wrong!!
What if you assume none of the other interfaces are sliding? Would it be true then?

Lnewqban said:
Normally, ##\mu_k## is the symbol used for the kinetic coefficient of friction.
Quite so, but the notation was explained in post #1. ##u_r## would have been less confusing.
Lnewqban said:
what is the meaning of "acc"?
acceleration

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
What if you assume none of the other interfaces are sliding? Would it be true then?
Yes it would be true then.

teo11 said:
Yes it would be true then.
So you need to figure which will slip first. Then, maybe, which will slip next as F is increased?

Likes teo11
I think I have found it. It involves using the concept of finding max. friction required at any surface which can be done by using an FBD, considering a system of either the upper of lower blocks depending upon net forces on this system and taking its acc to be Ac that is (net force on all blocks/ total mass). Now I see the weakest interface (which will break first by considering an imaginary force increasing), which in our simple case of n blocks with one force at bottom for first break would turn out to be finding min coefficient of static friction among all. Now repeat with more complicated expressions for the first surface which will break as there are #2 forces (one of top of first break) and the 2nd on the bottom one and we have a solution.

Can anyone put up some examples with answers for 4 or such blocks to test?

But the static friction for each interface not only depends on the coefficient, but on the normal force and reaction.
It seems to me that there is one block that has the highest normal force and one block that has the minimum one.
Could you tell which is which?

You can analize the system, regarding which one would slide first as the pulling or pushing force reaches certain value, assuming two extreme conditions:
1) All the blocks have the same mass and each pair has a different coefficient of static friction.
2) All the blocks have the same coefficient, but each has a different mass.

Lnewqban said:
the static friction for each interface not only depends on the coefficient, but on the normal force and reaction.
Are you disagreeing with the formula in post #1?

haruspex said:
So you need to figure which will slip first. Then, maybe, which will slip next as F is increased?
Lnewqban said:
But the static friction for each interface not only depends on the coefficient, but on the normal force and reaction.
It seems to me that there is one block that has the highest normal force and one block that has the minimum one.
Could you tell which is which?

You can analize the system, regarding which one would slide first as the pulling or pushing force reaches certain value, assuming two extreme conditions:
1) All the blocks have the same mass and each pair has a different coefficient of static friction.
2) All the blocks have the same coefficient, but each has a different mass.
I actually did the same thing. For rth block and blocks above it I can write
Fr required <= F*(mr + m(r+1)+ … + mn)/(m1 + m2 +…+ mn)
So ur * g should be >= F/(m1 + m2 +…+ mn) as Fr= Normal reaction *g = (mr + m(r+1)+ … + mn)*g

haruspex said:
Are you disagreeing with the formula in post #1?
No, if applicable to the lowest block only.
Yes, otherwise.

I may still be confused about the n's, the k's and the r's shown above.
A FBD would greatly help.

Lnewqban said:
Yes, otherwise.
Draw the FBD for the top k blocks and consider the frictional force required at its base to achieve the desired acceleration.

haruspex said:
Draw the FBD for the top k blocks and consider the frictional force required at its base to achieve the desired acceleration.
As I see it, there is no force reaching the top blocks until the bottom block starts accelerating right after sliding.

Perhaps the problem should include a frictionless flat surface-bottom block, or a stack of blocks sitting on a wheeled cart?

BvU said:
Your pretty promising equation seems to apply to the whole stack !
No, I believe it is general.

Lnewqban said:
As I see it, there is no force reaching the top blocks until the bottom block starts accelerating right after sliding.

Perhaps the problem should include a frictionless flat surface-bottom block, or a stack of blocks sitting on a wheeled cart?
Good point.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the "puzzling equation" and why is it important?

The "puzzling equation" refers to a mathematical equation that helps determine whether a block will slide or not on a surface. It is important because it helps us understand the forces at play in this scenario and make predictions about the outcome.

2. How does the "puzzling equation" work?

The equation takes into account the weight of the block, the angle of the surface, the coefficient of friction, and the force applied to the block. By plugging in these variables, we can calculate the net force and determine whether the block will slide or not.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the "puzzling equation"?

The outcome of the equation can be affected by several factors, such as the weight and shape of the block, the angle and texture of the surface, and the force applied to the block. These variables can change the coefficient of friction and ultimately impact the net force.

4. Can the "puzzling equation" be used in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the equation can be applied to real-life scenarios, such as predicting whether a car will slide on a wet road or determining the optimal angle for a ramp to prevent objects from sliding down. However, it is important to note that there may be other factors at play in these scenarios that may not be accounted for in the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to the "puzzling equation"?

While the equation is a useful tool for predicting the outcome of a block sliding on a surface, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the surface is flat and the block is sliding in a straight line. It also does not take into account external factors, such as air resistance or the elasticity of the block and surface.