1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing Problem

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Let X be the sin of the angle theta in radians chosen uniformly from (-pi/2,pi/2). Find the mean and variance of X. HINT: X = sin(theta). Specify the support of X and check to see if your result describes a p.d.f.

Anyone got any idea's? I managed to solve the majority of other problems and don't even know where to begin this one. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the sine of any angle is between -1 and 1 the "support of X" is
    [-1,1]. The integral of 1 from [itex]-2\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] is [itex]4\pi[/itex] so the "uniform distribution" density is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi} [/itex]. The mean value of X will, of course, be
    [tex]\int_{-1}^1X P(X)dX= \frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta[/tex].

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3
    First, i'd like to thank you for your response. I understand everything you said except what I left in quotes. Why did you integrate 1 from -2pi to 2pi? Other than that, I already had the support being [-1,1] and I know how to find mean and variance when given some P(X).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?