Calculating Delta h for a Projectile Fired at 50 Degrees without Air Resistance

• Thread starter a2k22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the cannon fires a 0.626 kg shell with initial velocity vi = 9.6 m/s in the direction θ = 50◦ above the horizontal. At the time t = 0.392 s, the shell is below the straight line by some vertical distance Delta h.
a2k22

Homework Statement

A cannon fires a 0.626 kg shell with initial
velocity vi = 9.6 m/s in the direction θ = 50◦
above the horizontal.

The shell’s trajectory curves downward be-
cause of gravity, so at the time t = 0.392 s the
shell is below the straight line by some verti-
cal distance Delta h. Your task is to calculate the
distance Delta h in the absence of air resistance.
What is Delta h?

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by trying to by using using distance y equals initial distance y plus initial y velocity times time plus one half accel times time squared. I plugged in the numbers for where accel was 9.8 (for the parabola) and accel was 0 (for a straight line).

My teacher has not taught us this, and I'm very impressed we've gotten this far

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you are on the right track...
i don't quite understand the question but ill try give you a hand

its projectile motion so u need those equations
and you are dealing in the y direction only...

have you broken up the initial velocity?

No, why would I need to?

a2k22 said:
I started out by trying to by using using distance y equals initial distance y plus initial y velocity times time plus one half accel times time squared. I plugged in the numbers for where accel was 9.8 (for the parabola) and accel was 0 (for a straight line).

My teacher has not taught us this, and I'm very impressed we've gotten this far

Did he/she teach you about finding the components of the initial velocity? (use the angle)
Or about writing two equations of motion, one for vertical direction (accelerated motion) and one for horizontal direction (uniform speed)?
For this problem you don't really need to look at the horizontal direction. Write eq of motion for vertical motion, once with accleration and a second time for the hypothetical case when a=0.

Yes, I was taught about how to find v in y direction and such. What equation should I use?

you will only need Vy it seems here

y = Vy*(t) - (1/2)gt^2

Okay I got 2.13 m. Then would I do what I did before, plug it in with the accel being equal to zero, then subtract the two?

this straight line... if it is the path of the shell with a=0 then yes that is right

Can I get an answer to check mine with?

okies u got to post yours first cause I am not allowed to give u the answer but :)

ah not cool. I got 1.86.

It was 2.88 (straight line)-1.86 (parabola)
HOwever I feel I completely screwed up

ok how did u get ur answer for the parabola?\
you had 2.13m above and its changeD?

For the parabola, I set everything the same cept for the accel, which became 0, so i basically had dist= vel * time.

And I don't know where i got 2.88, and now I'm getting 3.63. Confirmation...?

y = Vy*(t) - (1/2)gt^2

u have Vy i take it already
you know t
g = 9.81m/s^2
sub it in
(that is the parabola equation)

for the linear one
g = 0

can you confirm my answer?

2.88 is when a=0
2.13 when a=g

that is what i got

so now subtract the linear from the parabola

Thank you guys so much

1. What is "delta h" in relation to a projectile fired at 50 degrees?

"Delta h" refers to the change in height of the projectile from its initial point to its final point. This calculation is often used to determine the maximum height reached by the projectile.

2. How is delta h calculated for a projectile fired at 50 degrees?

The calculation for delta h involves using the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it was fired, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using the formula delta h = (v^2*sin^2(theta))/2g, where v is the initial velocity, theta is the firing angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, you can determine the change in height of the projectile.

3. Why is air resistance not taken into account when calculating delta h for a projectile fired at 50 degrees?

Air resistance is often neglected in these calculations because it is difficult to accurately measure and can vary depending on the shape and size of the projectile. In most cases, the effect of air resistance on the projectile's height is minimal and can be ignored for the purposes of this calculation.

4. Can delta h be negative for a projectile fired at 50 degrees?

Yes, delta h can be negative if the projectile lands at a lower height than its initial starting point. This can happen if the projectile is fired at a downward angle or if there is a significant decrease in height due to air resistance or other factors.

5. Is there a limit to the angle at which a projectile can be fired while still being able to calculate delta h?

Technically, no. Delta h can still be calculated for any angle at which a projectile is fired, as long as the initial velocity, angle, and acceleration due to gravity are known. However, for practical purposes, angles less than 90 degrees are typically used in these calculations, as angles greater than 90 degrees would result in the projectile traveling downward instead of upward.