1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing proof: closed sets

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    Suppose f:[a,b]--> R and g:[a,b]-->R. Let T={x:f(x)=g(x)}
    Prove that T is closed.

I know that a closed set is one which contains all of its accumulation points. I know that f and g must be uniformly continuous since they have compact domains, that is, closed and bounded domains. Now T is the set for which f(x)=g(x), so it seems pretty obvious that this set is going to be closed, but I don't really know how to actually prove this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried proving that the set of x where f(x) is NOT equal to g(x) is open? If you can show that set is open then its complement is closed.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Look at the function h(x)=f(x)-g(x). What is T?

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4
    Thanks
    Hmm...okay...so an open set is one where if x belongs to the set T, then there is a neighborhood Q of x that is contained in the set T.

So if T={x: f(x)=/=g(x)}, then we can find a neighborhood of x of T , namely (x-eps,x+eps) that is contained in T. Well....obviously if the function values are not equal, then such a neighborhood exists since our domain is R, but I'm not sure if this proves it formally...

EDIT: Office Shredder, I assume you are going for a different method than Dick? T in that case would be the set for which h(x)=0.

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the complement of T is the set of x so that h(x) =/= 0. It should be easier to think about how to prove that is open (since h(x) is continuous)

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not much of a proof, formal or not. Put delta=|f(x0)-g(x0)|/2. Use the definition of continuity. Office Shredder does have a more direct way of doing it. If you know the theorem he is referring to.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    Well, then for the complement, there is a neighborhood (x-eps,x+eps) that is contained in T since there are infinitely many points on our domain such that h(x)=/=0 because of the fact that h is continuous.

9. Oct 24, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's an even worse proof than the last one. The last one was not a proof, this one is actually false.

10. Oct 24, 2009 #9
    I wrote that before I saw the other post you made to set delta equal and use definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook