Proving Closure of Set T: f(x)=g(x) on Closed Domain [a,b] in R

In summary: I think my proof works for the complement right?In summary, to prove that T is closed, we must show that its complement is open. We can do this by showing that for any point x in the complement, there exists a neighborhood of x that is also contained in the complement. This can be done by considering the function h(x)=f(x)-g(x) and using the fact that h is continuous. Therefore, T is closed.
workerant
Suppose f:[a,b]--> R and g:[a,b]-->R. Let T={x:f(x)=g(x)}
Prove that T is closed.

I know that a closed set is one which contains all of its accumulation points. I know that f and g must be uniformly continuous since they have compact domains, that is, closed and bounded domains. Now T is the set for which f(x)=g(x), so it seems pretty obvious that this set is going to be closed, but I don't really know how to actually prove this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried proving that the set of x where f(x) is NOT equal to g(x) is open? If you can show that set is open then its complement is closed.

Hint: Look at the function h(x)=f(x)-g(x). What is T?

Thanks
Hmm...okay...so an open set is one where if x belongs to the set T, then there is a neighborhood Q of x that is contained in the set T.

So if T={x: f(x)=/=g(x)}, then we can find a neighborhood of x of T , namely (x-eps,x+eps) that is contained in T. Well...obviously if the function values are not equal, then such a neighborhood exists since our domain is R, but I'm not sure if this proves it formally...EDIT: Office Shredder, I assume you are going for a different method than Dick? T in that case would be the set for which h(x)=0.

So the complement of T is the set of x so that h(x) =/= 0. It should be easier to think about how to prove that is open (since h(x) is continuous)

workerant said:
Thanks
Hmm...okay...so an open set is one where if x belongs to the set T, then there is a neighborhood Q of x that is contained in the set T.

So if T={x: f(x)=/=g(x)}, then we can find a neighborhood of x of T , namely (x-eps,x+eps) that is contained in T. Well...obviously if the function values are not equal, then such a neighborhood exists since our domain is R, but I'm not sure if this proves it formally...

EDIT: Office Shredder, I assume you are going for a different method than Dick? T in that case would be the set for which h(x)=0.

That's not much of a proof, formal or not. Put delta=|f(x0)-g(x0)|/2. Use the definition of continuity. Office Shredder does have a more direct way of doing it. If you know the theorem he is referring to.

Well, then for the complement, there is a neighborhood (x-eps,x+eps) that is contained in T since there are infinitely many points on our domain such that h(x)=/=0 because of the fact that h is continuous.

workerant said:
Well, then for the complement, there is a neighborhood (x-eps,x+eps) that is contained in T since there are infinitely many points on our domain such that h(x)=/=0 because of the fact that h is continuous.

That's an even worse proof than the last one. The last one was not a proof, this one is actually false.

I wrote that before I saw the other post you made to set delta equal and use definition.

1. What is a closed set?

A closed set is a set of elements where all of its limit points are also contained within the set. In other words, if a sequence of points within the set converges to a point, that point must also be within the set.

2. How is a closed set different from an open set?

A closed set is the complement of an open set. This means that a closed set includes its boundary points, while an open set does not include its boundary points.

3. Why is it important to understand closed sets?

Closed sets are important in mathematics and science because they help determine the continuity and convergence of functions and sequences. They also play a key role in topology, which studies the properties of spaces and their transformations.

4. How can you prove that a set is closed?

One way to prove that a set is closed is by showing that all of its limit points are contained within the set. Another way is by using the closure operator, which adds all limit points to a set to make it closed.

5. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. This is known as a clopen set and it only occurs in certain types of spaces, such as discrete spaces, where every point is an isolated point.