1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing question in Differential first order

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Q)
    I have a first order ODE of the form
    dy/dx = F(ax+by+c)/(Ax+By+C) ---> (a,b,c,A,B,C all non zero constants)

Under what condition, does there exist a linear substitution that reduces the equation to one in which the variables are separable?

(A) Never
    (B) if aB = bA
    (C) if bC = cB
    (D) if cA = aC

Ans: I feel it is (B). But there are unclear doubts. My attempt goes below

if a/A != b/B
    ------------
    I am aware that if a/A != b/B, then I can convert this non-homogeneous eqn into homogeneous
    1) by eliminating the constants c and C using ah+bk+c=0 and Ah+Bk+C=0 and substituting x with X+h and y = Y+k. Then eqn reduces to the form (aX+bY)/(AX+BY).
    2) further by substituting V=Y/X, I can convert the given eqn into a variable separable one.

if a/A = b/B
    -----------
    But if a/A = b/B(= t say) still I can write it as dy/dx = [t(Ax+By) + c]/(Ax+By+C) and then substituting U for Ax+By (a linear substitution), it again becomes of the form
    (1/b)(dU/dx - A)= (tU+c)/U+C
    which again is variable separable.

This is the doubt,
    -----------------
    I have done linear substitution in both the cases (x = X+h and y = Y+k) and have obtained the eqn in variable separable form. So aB = bA is not the only condition, it may as well be aB!=bA. Can anyone clarify?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?