1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing question

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    I will put the question in exact wording that the prof gave us:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A B+ - B- pair is produced in the decay of at Z0. The B then decays to D + X, where X represents some other particles, with a lifetime of 1.638 x 10^12 s. On average how far will the B0 travel before decaying? This is how the lifetime of the B was measured, by measuring the distance from the production vertex to a secondary vertex where it decayed. (M_B0 = 5.279Gev, M_Z0 = 91.188Gev).

2. Relevant equations
    All I can think of that may help me (beside a clearer wording of the question) would be:

[tex] \tau = \frac{1}{\Gamma_{t}} [/tex]
    where $\tau$ is the lifetime of the particle and $\Gamma_{t}$ is the decay width.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just don't understand where the B0 comes from in this context? It just appears in the question. Is B0 a combination of B- and B+? How would the hint (at the end of the question, the masses of the particles) be any use if I use the formula in the 2nd part?

Any thoughts?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The B0 in the question must be a misprint. The PDG gives 1.53 as the B0 lifetime, not 1.638, so I don't think the B0 ever enters the problem.
  4. Feb 8, 2007 #3
    Yeah, I asked the prof, and it is a typo... I really dont like it when there is a typo in an assignment.

It was supposed to be [itex]B^{0}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{B^{0}}[/itex] as a decay process of [itex]Z^{0}[/itex].

Thanks for the help anyway!
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?