Solving a Confusing Torque Problem: Lever Equilibrium in Top View

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of quantifying torque when the load applied to a lever is perpendicular to gravity. The participants consider the role of gravity in the system and how it affects the calibration of a torque driver. They conclude that in order for the calibration to be accurate, the load must be parallel to gravity.
Mech King
Hello,

I think i may be over analyzing this basic problem, but if i have a lever similar to that attached, and i apply a load at one end and a counter moment at the over end (at the pivot center) to balance the load then the system is in equilibrium.

Now if the load applied on the end of lever was not parrallel with gravity, but perpendicular to it, so the image attached became a tope view as opposed to a side view, then how do you quantify the torque, because although gravity is always present, it now won't be tending to push the load around anti-clockwise, so how can i equate the load to a force and resolve this problem? Clearly, if the attached image shows a top/plan view of the system then the lever will be easier to turn.

Can someone please help me understand my madness?

Cheers

Attachments

• lever.png
    lever.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Mech King said:
Now if the load applied on the end of lever was not parrallel with gravity, but perpendicular to it, so the image attached became a tope view as opposed to a side view, then how do you quantify the torque, because although gravity is always present, it now won't be tending to push the load around anti-clockwise, so how can i equate the load to a force and resolve this problem? Clearly, if the attached image shows a top/plan view of the system then the lever will be easier to turn.

Okay, so what exactly is the problem? The force which is applied to the end of the lever is perpendicular to gravity. It exerts a torque about the pivot. And unless you want to consider a yanking of the lever due to gravity (a kind of cantilevered effect), gravity has no major role to play here, except enter the vertical equilibrium condition for the lever + pivot. That is, assuming that the vertical torque due to gravity about the pivot, is not allowed to bend/yank the road. If the rod can yank, then the problem is much more complicated because the rod won't be horizontal all the way from the pivot.

The way I see it if the picture presents a top down view then there is no force to counter the "counter torque" and the lever will simply start spinning in it's direction, constantly accelerating. The mass at the end of the lever will only matter as part of the overall mass of the system determining it's inertia.

Thanks for the reponses,

i basically am making a little torque driver calibration device (approximate) and thought it may be easier from an ergonomics point of view to have the calibration device sitting face up on a workbench surface, and then upon further investigtion i thought..."but gravity is not tending to turn the mass, so how can i use th,e set up to calibrate torque if there isn't any torque on the lever, just inertia"

The lever is rigid and sat in bearings, so there is no deflection, and friction can be ignored.

Would it only be possible to do this torque calibration set up if the load is parrallel and not perpendicular to gravity>?

Cheers again

"Would it only be possible to do this torque calibration set up if the load is parrallel and not perpendicular to gravity"

Yes, it has to be parallel to gravity or in other words the arrow on your picture has to point down so that the weight of the mass attempts to rotate the lever in the direction opposite to that of your torque.

If you want the lever to be horizontal you can add something to the design that will transfer the force exerted by the load changing it's direction, a rope and a pulley or something like that.

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is the measure of a force's tendency to rotate an object about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the lever arm, which is the distance between the axis of rotation and the point of force application.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium point in a torque problem?

The equilibrium point is the point at which the net torque acting on an object is equal to zero. To determine this point, you must first draw a free body diagram and then use the equation Στ = 0, where Στ represents the sum of all the torques acting on the object.

3. What is the principle of lever equilibrium?

The principle of lever equilibrium states that the sum of the clockwise torques is equal to the sum of the counterclockwise torques in a lever system at equilibrium. This means that the total torque acting on the lever must be balanced in order for it to remain in static equilibrium.

4. How do you handle confusing torque problems with multiple levers and forces?

When dealing with multiple levers and forces in a torque problem, it is important to break the problem down into smaller, simpler parts. Draw separate free body diagrams for each lever and consider the equilibrium point for each one individually. Then, use the principle of lever equilibrium to determine the overall equilibrium point for the entire system.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a torque problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a torque problem include forgetting to consider the direction of the torque (clockwise or counterclockwise), not drawing accurate free body diagrams, using incorrect values for the lever arm or force, and not properly setting up and solving the equilibrium equation. It is important to carefully read and interpret the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.