1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing Trig/rational Integral

1. May 9, 2005 #1
    [tex] \int (sin(t)-cos(t)) \sqrt{cos^2(t)-sin^2(t)} dt [/tex]

Is there a trig idendity I can use? I've distributed that root to both terms to get:
    [tex] \int sin(t) \sqrt{cos^2(t)-sin^2(t)} dt -[/tex] [tex] \int cos(t) \sqrt{cos^2(t)-sin^2(t)} [/tex]

If I take one of the terms and integrate by parts, I'm trying to put [tex] u=\sqrt{cos^2(t)-sin^2(t)} [/tex] and [tex]dv= sin(t) [/tex] or [tex]dv= cos(t) [/tex] but that ugly root's derivative appears inside the [tex] \int vdu [/tex] part.

Is there a trig identity I'm missing, or some other tactic I could use? or could this just be really really ugly math?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2
    Its either

[tex] cos^2(t) - sin^2(t) = cos(2t) [/tex]**

[tex] sin^2(t) - cos^2(t) = cos(2t) [/tex]
  4. May 9, 2005 #3
    [tex] cos^2(t) - sin^2(t) = cos(2t) [/tex] is the correct identity (and thanks! It may just help!)

Your other identity: [tex] sin^2(t) - cos^2(t) = cos(2t) [/tex] is erroneous, but not by much. [tex] sin^2(t) - cos^2(t) [/tex] yields [tex] -cos(2t) [/tex]

This could actually help as well, however. Thank you for posting both (even if one was inaccurate).
  5. May 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You needn't that identity.

[tex] \int \left(\sin t-\cos t\right)\sqrt{\cos^{2}t-\sin^{2}t} \ dt = \int \sin t\sqrt{2\cos^{2}t-1} \ dt -\int \cos t\sqrt{1-2\sin^{2}t} \ dt [/tex]

Can u take it from here (HINT:eek:bvious substitutions necessary) ?

6. May 9, 2005 #5
    That would have been much easier dex, I think....
  7. May 9, 2005 #6
    Well it was one of the two, I justw anst sure which one. dex's way is easier though its basically the same thing.
  8. May 10, 2005 #7
    The Method is substitution, but then what's u? I'm guessing the basic trig function outside the root is du.

But when I derive the function within that root, I get something different. The derivative of either one ends up to be [tex]-4cos(t)sin(t) [/tex].

Am I choosing the wrong U? I'm integrating with respect to t, and simply inserting the extra parts onto by basic trig function isn't exactly kosher.
  9. May 10, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,let's take the first,i'll leave with the second,which is basically similar (maybe other substitution).

[tex] I=\int \sin t\sqrt{2\cos^{2}t-1} \ dt [/tex] (1)

becomes after the substitution [itex] \cos t=u;\sin t \ dt= -du [/itex] (2)

[tex] I=-\int \sqrt{2u^{2}-1} \ du [/tex](3)

Make the substitution

[tex]\sqrt{2} \ u=\cosh v;du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sinh v \ dv [/tex](4)

[tex] I=-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\int \sinh^{2}v \ dv=-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}\int (\cosh 2v-1) \ dv=-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}\sinh 2v+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}v +C [/tex] (5)

And now invert the 2 substitutions

[tex] I=-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}\sinh \left(2 \ \mbox{arg}\cosh\left(\sqrt{2}\cos t\right)\right)+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}\mbox{arg}\cosh\left(\sqrt{2}\cos t\right) + C [/tex] (6)

I'm sure the other one will be simpler.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  10. May 10, 2005 #9
    Didn't know that if you took [tex] cos(t) = u [/tex] that you could allow [tex] u^2 [/tex] to simply be [tex] cos^2(t) [/tex].

Of course, I didn't think about that either.
  11. May 10, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The other way around is incorrect,of course,but i simply squared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?