Solving the Confusing Units Issue in Atomic Energy V(R)

In summary, To convert the second derivative of V with respect to R from atomic units to SI units, you need to use conversion factors for energy and length. The resulting units should be in J/m^2, which is the SI equivalent of hartree/bohr^2. However, there may be discrepancies in the conversion due to different approaches being used.
AxiomOfChoice
Okay, so I have an expression for V(R) in atomic units (bohrs, hartrees, etc), where V is an energy. I'm assuming this means that if I plug in a value for R (in bohrs), I get back an energy (in hartrees). But if I take the SECOND derivative of V with respect to R, and I want to convert that to SI units, what sort of conversion factors do I need to bring out, and when?

For example, if I just take V''(R), leaving everything in atomic units, and plug in R (in bohrs), I get a number...but what units is it in? How would I convert that number to its SI equivalent, which is J/m^2?

Of course, V''(R) = d^2 V / dR^2 is supposed to be a (harmonic) force constant, which in SI would be measured in J/m^2. But I've tried a number of different approaches to doing the right sort of conversions, but each one gives me a (wildly) different answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
hartree/bohr^2

1. What is the confusing units issue in atomic energy V(R)?

The confusing units issue in atomic energy V(R) refers to the inconsistent use of units and measurements in the field of atomic energy, which can lead to confusion and errors in calculations and data analysis.

2. How does the confusing units issue impact the field of atomic energy?

The confusing units issue can have significant consequences in the field of atomic energy, as it can lead to incorrect data interpretation and potentially dangerous miscalculations in nuclear reactors or other applications of atomic energy.

3. What are some possible solutions to the confusing units issue in atomic energy V(R)?

One possible solution is to establish standardized units and measurements for all aspects of atomic energy, such as energy output, radiation levels, and reactor design. Another solution is to ensure proper training and education for scientists and engineers working with atomic energy to understand and use units correctly.

4. How do scientists currently address the confusing units issue in atomic energy V(R)?

Currently, scientists in the field of atomic energy are aware of the issue and take measures to ensure proper unit conversions and standardization in their work. However, there is still room for improvement and further efforts to address the issue.

5. What are the potential implications of not solving the confusing units issue in atomic energy V(R)?

If the confusing units issue in atomic energy is not adequately addressed, it can lead to significant errors in data analysis and decision making, potentially putting the safety and effectiveness of nuclear technology at risk. It can also hinder the progress and advancements in the field of atomic energy.