1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing units issue

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    Okay, so I have an expression for V(R) in atomic units (bohrs, hartrees, etc), where V is an energy. I'm assuming this means that if I plug in a value for R (in bohrs), I get back an energy (in hartrees). But if I take the SECOND derivative of V with respect to R, and I want to convert that to SI units, what sort of conversion factors do I need to bring out, and when?

For example, if I just take V''(R), leaving everything in atomic units, and plug in R (in bohrs), I get a number...but what units is it in? How would I convert that number to its SI equivalent, which is J/m^2?

Of course, V''(R) = d^2 V / dR^2 is supposed to be a (harmonic) force constant, which in SI would be measured in J/m^2. But I've tried a number of different approaches to doing the right sort of conversions, but each one gives me a (wildly) different answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    hartree/bohr^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook