Confusion About Convolution z-Transform ROC

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the Region of Convergence (ROC) for finding a transfer function is the intersection of the ROCs of the individual z-transforms. However, in some cases, there can be additional factors to consider, such as poles outside the intersection of the ROCs.
ckutlu

Homework Statement

I need to find a transfer function using the given functions which i have no problem with. But i don't know how to exactly define the Region Of Convergence of the resulting transfer function.

I have h1[n] and h2[n] as to be convoluted to find the transfer function.

Homework Equations

[tex]h_{1}[n]\ast h_{2}[n]\stackrel{Z}{\rightarrow}H_{1}(z) H_{2}(z) = H(z)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked into Wikipedia page :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-transform#Example_1_.28no_ROC.29"
Under the properties section, this is written for the ROC of the convolution z-Transform:
Mr. Wikipedia said:
At least the intersection of ROC1 and ROC2"

My confusion starts here, why "at least"? What more can then be? I think since we are multiplying the transforms, "only" the intersection of the ROC's should define the transfer function's ROC. Am i wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion about the Region of Convergence (ROC) in the context of finding a transfer function. Let me try to clarify it for you.

First, let's define the ROC as the set of values of z for which the z-transform converges. In simpler terms, it is the range of values for which the z-transform can be computed. Now, for the convolution of two functions, the resulting transfer function is the product of their individual z-transforms. Therefore, the ROC of the resulting transfer function should be the intersection of the ROCs of the individual z-transforms. This is because the z-transform of a product of two functions is only defined for the values of z where both individual z-transforms are defined.

Now, coming to your question about why it is written "at least" in the Wikipedia page, it is because there can be cases where the intersection of the ROCs is not the only defining factor for the ROC of the resulting transfer function. For example, if one of the individual z-transforms has a pole (a point where the function becomes infinite) outside the intersection of the ROCs, then the ROC of the resulting transfer function will also include that pole. This is because the transfer function will also have a pole at that point, making it a part of the ROC.

In conclusion, you are correct in thinking that the intersection of the ROCs should define the transfer function's ROC. However, in some cases, there can be additional factors to consider. I hope this explanation helps you better understand the concept of ROC in the context of finding a transfer function.

1. What is the z-transform and how is it related to convolution?

The z-transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a discrete-time signal into a complex frequency domain representation. It is related to convolution because the z-transform of the convolution of two signals is equal to the product of their individual z-transforms.

2. What is the region of convergence (ROC) in the z-transform?

The region of convergence is a set of complex numbers where the z-transform of a signal converges. It is important because it determines the stability and causality of a system represented by the z-transform.

3. Why is there confusion about the ROC in convolution z-transform?

There is confusion about the ROC in convolution z-transform because it depends on the individual ROCs of the signals being convolved. In some cases, the ROC of the convolution may be different from the individual ROCs, leading to confusion about which ROC to consider.

4. How can the ROC be determined in convolution z-transform?

The ROC can be determined by finding the intersection of the individual ROCs of the signals being convolved. This intersection is the region where the z-transform of the convolution exists and is the correct ROC to consider.

5. What are the implications of the ROC in convolution z-transform?

The ROC has implications for the stability and causality of a system represented by the z-transform. A stable system will have a ROC that includes the unit circle, while a causal system will have a ROC that includes the origin. The choice of ROC also affects the inverse z-transform and the resulting time-domain signal.