Why is the y-component of the electric field in a dipole cancelled out?

In summary, the electric field of a dipole is calculated incorrectly. The x-component is not accounted for.
Raman student
Hi everybody. I noticed that I don't understand dipoles correctly. I just calculated the field of a dipole. There are two charges, one positive the other negative, in the distance of d.
I got for the electric field: [tex]E=\frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon} \binom{d}{0}[/tex] The problem is, that there is only the x-component left. I don't see how the y-component got cancelled. I mean it makes sense from the mathematics but I can't visualize how this happens. Also pictures of dipoles you find in books or on the internet showing electric field lines that have more than just one component. See also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole

What did I understand wrong?

kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a point on the y-axis - anywhere - and work out the electric field there. Draw an arrow in there for the field.
Pick another point, not on the y axis, do it again. After a while you will have built up a picture of the electric field.

As to your equation, I have: $$\vec E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^3}\big[3(\vec p \cdot \vec r) \hat r - \vec p\big]$$ re http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/Dipole_electric_field.pdf ... eq13.
For your case: ##\vec p = q(d,0,0)^t## I suspect you have ##\vec r = (x,y,0)^t## ...

Notice that it is 3D, and the electric field strength decreases with distance from the dipole - but yours is 2D and the strength does not change with distance?

Likes Raman student
Thanks for your reply. I see now what my problem was. I had only one component because I just looked for the field on the y-axis that its exactly on x=d/2. So in the exact mid of the two charges with respect to the x-axis. So I just didn't calculated the complete field for every point on the plane. Sometimes I don't see my most obvious mistakes. Thank you.
edit: And yeah, the given field doesn't change with distance, I just forgot to append the '1/z^3' to the formula and now I can't edit it?

Kind regards.

Last edited:
Here's pic of E-field lines you're interested:
edip2.gif

One can clearly see where horizontal component of E-field dissapears.

Likes Raman student
The dipole would normally be centered on the origin so how is x=d/2 the exact mid? I don't see how you get a z with only a 2D displaceme t vector.
How about rewriting the equation properly and stati g clearly what it is for?
That should help you get clear in you mind.

Let's derive the static-dipole field from scratch. The idea is to look at two equal opposite charges at a point which is far from the distance of the charges. Let's orient the dipole along the [itex]z[/itex] axis of a Cartesian coordinate system. The positive charge sits at [itex](0,0,-d/2)[/itex] and the negative charge ate [itex](0,0,+d/2)[/itex], where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the charges. The dipole moment then is [itex]\vec{p}=q d \vec{e}_z[/itex]. I work in Heaviside-Lorentz units.

The potential of the two charges is
[tex]\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi} \left (\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+d/2)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-d/2)^2}} \right).[/tex]
Now for [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} \gg d[/itex] we can expand this to first-order in [itex]d[/itex]. This gives
[tex]\Phi(\vec{r}) \simeq \frac{1}{4 \pi} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{r}=\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{4 \pi r^3}.[/tex]

Likes Raman student
Simon Bridge said:
The dipole would normally be centered on the origin so how is x=d/2 the exact mid? I don't see how you get a z with only a 2D displaceme t vector.
How about rewriting the equation properly and stati g clearly what it is for?
That should help you get clear in you mind.

Sry, I thought of one charge on the origin and the other at +d. But it's better to put the charges on -d/2 and d/2 of course.
And I used the x-z plane, so this might be confusing, sry for that.

vanhees71 said:
Let's derive the static-dipole field from scratch. The idea is to look at two equal opposite charges at a point which is far from the distance of the charges. Let's orient the dipole along the [itex]z[/itex] axis of a Cartesian coordinate system. The positive charge sits at [itex](0,0,-d/2)[/itex] and the negative charge ate [itex](0,0,+d/2)[/itex], where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the charges. The dipole moment then is [itex]\vec{p}=q d \vec{e}_z[/itex]. I work in Heaviside-Lorentz units.

The potential of the two charges is
[tex]\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi} \left (\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+d/2)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-d/2)^2}} \right).[/tex]
Now for [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} \gg d[/itex] we can expand this to first-order in [itex]d[/itex]. This gives
[tex]\Phi(\vec{r}) \simeq \frac{1}{4 \pi} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{r}=\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{4 \pi r^3}.[/tex]

Thanks, this helped also a lot for my understanding. Taylor expansion is something I learned but I'm not sure when to use it.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or a chemical bond that has a separation of positive and negative charges, resulting in an overall dipole moment. This means that one end of the molecule or bond is more positively charged, while the other end is more negatively charged.

2. How are dipoles formed?

Dipoles are formed when there is an unequal distribution of electrons in a molecule or bond, causing one end to be more positively charged and the other end to be more negatively charged. This can occur due to differences in electronegativity between atoms or due to the molecular shape.

3. What is the significance of dipoles in chemistry?

Dipoles play a crucial role in many chemical reactions and interactions. They can affect the physical properties of a molecule, such as its boiling point and solubility, and can also influence the strength of intermolecular forces. Dipoles also play a role in determining the reactivity and stability of molecules.

4. Can a molecule have multiple dipoles?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple dipoles. This can occur when there are several polar bonds in the molecule, or when the molecule has a non-symmetrical shape, resulting in an overall dipole moment. In some cases, the individual dipoles may cancel each other out, resulting in a non-polar molecule.

5. How is the strength of a dipole determined?

The strength of a dipole is determined by the magnitude of the charge separation and the distance between the positive and negative ends of the dipole. The larger the charge separation and the shorter the distance, the stronger the dipole moment will be. This is measured in units of Debye (D) in the SI system.