1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about dipoles

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    Hi everybody. I noticed that I don't understand dipoles correctly. I just calculated the field of a dipole. There are two charges, one positive the other negative, in the distance of d.
    I got for the electric field: [tex]E=\frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon} \binom{d}{0}[/tex] The problem is, that there is only the x-component left. I don't see how the y-component got cancelled. I mean it makes sense from the mathematics but I can't visualize how this happens. Also pictures of dipoles you find in books or on the internet showing electric field lines that have more than just one component. See also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole

What did I understand wrong?

kind regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pick a point on the y axis - anywhere - and work out the electric field there. Draw an arrow in there for the field.
    Pick another point, not on the y axis, do it again. After a while you will have built up a picture of the electric field.

As to your equation, I have: $$\vec E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^3}\big[3(\vec p \cdot \vec r) \hat r - \vec p\big]$$ re http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/Dipole_electric_field.pdf ... eq13.
    For your case: ##\vec p = q(d,0,0)^t## I suspect you have ##\vec r = (x,y,0)^t## ...

Notice that it is 3D, and the electric field strength decreases with distance from the dipole - but yours is 2D and the strength does not change with distance?

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I see now what my problem was. I had only one component because I just looked for the field on the y-axis that its exactly on x=d/2. So in the exact mid of the two charges with respect to the x-axis. So I just didn't calculated the complete field for every point on the plane. Sometimes I don't see my most obvious mistakes. Thank you.
    edit: And yeah, the given field doesn't change with distance, I just forgot to append the '1/z^3' to the formula and now I can't edit it?

Kind regards.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. Nov 24, 2014 #4
    Here's pic of E-field lines you're interested:
    edip2.gif
    One can clearly see where horizontal component of E-field dissapears.

6. Nov 24, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The dipole would normally be centered on the origin so how is x=d/2 the exact mid? I dont see how you get a z with only a 2D displaceme t vector.
    How about rewriting the equation properly and stati g clearly what it is for?
    That should help you get clear in you mind.

7. Nov 24, 2014 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Let's derive the static-dipole field from scratch. The idea is to look at two equal opposite charges at a point which is far from the distance of the charges. Let's orient the dipole along the [itex]z[/itex] axis of a Cartesian coordinate system. The positive charge sits at [itex](0,0,-d/2)[/itex] and the negative charge ate [itex](0,0,+d/2)[/itex], where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the charges. The dipole moment then is [itex]\vec{p}=q d \vec{e}_z[/itex]. I work in Heaviside-Lorentz units.

The potential of the two charges is
    [tex]\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi} \left (\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+d/2)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-d/2)^2}} \right).[/tex]
    Now for [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} \gg d[/itex] we can expand this to first-order in [itex]d[/itex]. This gives
    [tex]\Phi(\vec{r}) \simeq \frac{1}{4 \pi} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{r}=\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{4 \pi r^3}.[/tex]

8. Nov 24, 2014 #7
    Sry, I thought of one charge on the origin and the other at +d. But it's better to put the charges on -d/2 and d/2 of course.
    And I used the x-z plane, so this might be confusing, sry for that.

Thanks, this helped also a lot for my understanding. Taylor expansion is something I learned but I'm not sure when to use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook