Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about Gravitational Potential

1. Jun 11, 2004 #1

dcl

Heya's
    Im a bit confused reguarding gravitational potential energy.
    I've seen 2 different calculations

U(h) = mgh
    where h is the height above the ground.

and
    U = -GMm/r (off the top of my head, havnt got my notes here with me right now)

Could anyone help clear this up for me? Why does one expression have a negative potential?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2004 #2
    The former, U(h), applies to a uniform gravitational field where the zero of potential is at h = 0. The later, U = -GMm/r, applies to the gravitational field of a spherical body where the zero potential is at r = infinity. Plot each on a graph and you'll notice that each is a decreasing function of r, only the shape of the curve is different.

Keep in mind that only changes in potential are physically meaningful. You can always add a constant without changing the physics. The constant is usually chosen to make the math as simple as possible.

Pete

4. Jun 11, 2004 #3

dcl

I see, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

5. Jun 11, 2004 #4
    Just to add to what pmb_phy said, we use mgh much of the time in calculations because it is a good approximation to the change in the gravitational potential (given by U = -GMm/r) for small distances. i.e. when h << r.

Matt

6. Jun 11, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]r=R+h [/tex]

So,

[tex]U =\frac {-GMm} {r} = \frac {-GMm} {R+h} = \frac {-GMm} {R} (1 + h/R)^{-1}[/tex]

For h<<R, you can expand the last term binomially, and neglect terms of second order and up. So,

[tex]U = \frac {-GMm} {R} (1 - h/R) =\frac {-GMm} {R} + \frac {GMmh} {R^2}[/tex]
    [tex] = Constant + (m)*(\frac {GM} {R^2})*h = Constant + mgh [/tex]

Since we are interested only in changes in potential, we can throw away the constant term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?