Solving Notation & Convention Confusion in Differentials

In summary, The textbook "Differential Equations with Applications" by Ritger and Rose introduces the notation and convention of using the operator d/dx and the "object" dx in an equation of the form d(f(x,y)) = h(x,y)dx. The authors then take the approach of integrating both sides, resulting in f(x,y) = g(x,y) + c, where g(x,y) = ∫h(x,y)dx. There is confusion about what is being integrated on the left side of the equation and whether it is equivalent to (d/dx)(f(x,y)) = h(x,y). There is also discussion about the general case of ∫ d(f(x,y))dx not being equal to
hideelo
I am currently reading "Differential Equatons with Applications" by Ritger and Rose, and I need some clarification about some notation and convention that they are using. I think it all stems from a lack of clarity of the difference between the operator d/dx and the "object" (I don't know what to call it, I don't really know what it is) dx

If I have an equation of the following form

d(f(x,y)) = h(x,y)dx

the approach they then take is to "integrate both sides" and they remain with the following equation

f(x,y) = g(x,y) + c where g(x,y) = ∫h(x,y)dx

the integration on the right is clearly with respect to x, I am not so clear as to what they are doing on the left however. It seems like they are asserting that the integral of the derivative of a function is the function itself. But with respect to what are they integrating it? Is this only with respect to x? If so then the answer is wrong since ∫ d(f(x,y))dx is in general not f(x,y) . Is this some sort of line integral and we are using gradient theorem? If so are we doing the same thing on the other side of the equation? I don't think so, as we are only integrating with respect to x

The other confusion comes from the following, if have the same initial equation as above, d(f(x,y)) = h(x,y)dx is that the same as (d/dx)(f(x,y)) = h(x,y)? If yes, how so? How about if I have something of the following form ∂/∂x (f(x,y)) = h(x,y)?

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
hideelo said:
d(f(x,y)) = h(x,y)dx
I'm not sure that is meaningful in isolation. It certainly looks like it might mean ∂/∂x (f(x,y)) = h(x,y), but I can imagine other circumstances. E.g. we might be considering stepping a small distance along a path in the XY plane, so that in general d(f(x,y)) = h(x,y)dx+k(x,y).dy, but that it happens in this case that k(x,y) (at some point) is zero.
Assuming it does mean ∂/∂x (f(x,y)) = h(x,y), we can integrate wrt x to get f(x,y)=∫h(x,y).dx+k(y), where k is a 'function of integration', analogous to a constant of integration.
hideelo said:
∫ d(f(x,y))dx is in general not f(x,y)
∫ d(f(x,y))dx does not parse. You mean just ∫ d(f(x,y)).

1. What is notation and convention confusion in differentials?

Notation and convention confusion in differentials refers to the difficulty that many students and researchers face when trying to understand and use the various symbols, notations, and conventions used in differential equations and calculus. This can lead to confusion and mistakes in solving equations and understanding mathematical concepts.

2. Why is notation and convention confusion a problem?

Notation and convention confusion can be a problem because it can hinder a student's understanding and ability to solve equations. It can also lead to errors in calculations and misinterpretation of mathematical concepts, which can ultimately affect the accuracy of scientific research and experiments.

3. How can notation and convention confusion be solved?

One way to solve notation and convention confusion is to familiarize oneself with the commonly used notations and conventions in differential equations and calculus. This can be done by studying textbooks, attending lectures or workshops, and practicing solving equations. Seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any resources available to help with notation and convention confusion?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with notation and convention confusion in differentials. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and tutoring services. It is important to find a resource that best suits your learning style and needs.

5. What are some tips for avoiding notation and convention confusion in differentials?

One tip is to always double-check and clarify any symbols or notations that are unfamiliar before using them in equations. It is also helpful to practice solving equations and using different symbols and notations regularly. Additionally, keeping a notebook or cheat sheet with commonly used symbols and their meanings can also be beneficial.