Confusion about physics grad school.

In summary, it is recommended to start preparing for the GRE test now, as it will give you enough time to practice and gather all necessary materials for your graduate school application. It is also important to begin the application process as soon as possible in order to have a strong and complete application.
v2536
Hi I am currently studying at university of melbourne (Australia) major in mathematical physics and I just finished my second year. I plan to continue my graduate study in physics in US because i think the reputation of universities there are better.
According to what i read from Caltech website, it says that I only need a B.S. for their Ph.D. program. But what confuses me is that undergraduate degree is only 3 years here in Australia as oppose to 4 years in the US. The requirement for Ph.D. program here in melbourne is I have to complete an honoure year (which is an extra year after 3rd year, focus on research i guess) unless if I've got a good enough grade then I can go straight into Ph.D. after my 3rd year (which i think i have that so far). If I want to apply for grad school after I finish my 3rd year then apparently I need to prepare for GRE test and other things now, but the question is:
Is this really the right time?
should I give it a try anyway?

I've done a little research for my professor in my second year and also currently working for another professor as well in this summer break, helping out with stuffs. I also have other I have to do so I don't want to put my effort into GRE preparation if that only going to waste my time.
Please give me some advice, thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is the right time to start preparing for your GRE test. Although you may not feel like it, making sure that you are fully prepared for the test will be beneficial in the long run. Taking the GRE now will ensure that you have enough time to practice and review all of the material before the actual test date.Additionally, you should begin gathering the necessary information and materials for your graduate school application process. This includes gathering transcripts, letters of recommendation, research experience, etc. It is important to start this process as soon as possible so that you are able to submit a complete and competitive application.Good luck!

What is the typical length of a physics graduate program?

The length of a physics graduate program varies depending on the specific degree being pursued and the individual's progress. On average, a Master's degree in physics takes 2-3 years to complete, while a PhD program can take 4-6 years.

What are the requirements for admission to a physics graduate program?

The specific requirements for admission to a physics graduate program will vary between universities, but generally, applicants are expected to have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, a strong academic record, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require GRE scores.

Do I need to have research experience before applying to a physics graduate program?

While having research experience can be beneficial, it is not always required for admission to a physics graduate program. However, having research experience can make your application more competitive and may increase your chances of being accepted into a program.

What career opportunities are available with a physics graduate degree?

Graduates with a physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include research and development in industry, teaching at the high school or college level, and working in government or national laboratories. Other options include consulting, patent law, and science writing.

How can I decide which physics graduate program is right for me?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a physics graduate program, including the specific research areas and faculty expertise, the location and resources of the university, and the overall fit for your academic and career goals. It is important to thoroughly research and visit potential programs to determine which one aligns best with your interests and aspirations.