1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion b/w notations

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    I was helping my cousin with his hw when i came aacross this problem... I can easily differentiate b/w 3.5 ( three point five) and 3.5 ( three dot product five) when they come in different situations.. but there was this equation written which had the term 3.5. I interpreted it as decimal notation whereas it was for dot product multiplication... My question is that is there any different way of coming t know which notation is meant for which??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Using a period to indicate multiplication is a bad idea, especially where both factors are numerical digits. Many people use *, which is pretty much universally used on programming languages, as in 3 * 5.

Alternatively, if you can use LaTeX, there is the raised dot, as in ##3 \cdot 5##. That symbol is represented by \cdot inside the LaTeX tags.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook