Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion b/w notations

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    I was helping my cousin with his hw when i came aacross this problem... I can easily differentiate b/w 3.5 ( three point five) and 3.5 ( three dot product five) when they come in different situations.. but there was this equation written which had the term 3.5. I interpreted it as decimal notation whereas it was for dot product multiplication... My question is that is there any different way of coming t know which notation is meant for which??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Using a period to indicate multiplication is a bad idea, especially where both factors are numerical digits. Many people use *, which is pretty much universally used on programming languages, as in 3 * 5.

Alternatively, if you can use LaTeX, there is the raised dot, as in ##3 \cdot 5##. That symbol is represented by \cdot inside the LaTeX tags.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook