What is the difference between dot and cross products in vector operations?

• Thread starter FUNKER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary: The dot product is not used to find area. As Chen said, it is the length of the projection.In summary, the dot product is not used to find area, but rather the length of the projection of one vector onto another. On the other hand, the cross product is used to find the area of a parallelogram described by two vectors and has the property of always resulting in a vector perpendicular to both original vectors.
FUNKER
i was taught in my physics lecture that Work =Force *distance *cos(A)
to my belief this is the dot produict and used to measure area.
in my maths lecture two vectors using the cross product is also used to find the area ie: N x M = N*M*sin(A)
i thought that one product was used for area and the other for a different use along the lines of the projection of one vector upon another?
help
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
FUNKER said:
i was taught in my physics lecture that Work =Force *distance *cos(A)
to my belief this is the dot produict and used to measure area.

You are correct that this is the dot product, but it is not used to measure area. The geometric meaning of the product of X-dot-Y is the length of the projection of vector X on the vector Y. Try drawing it for a better understanding.

FUNKER said:
in my maths lecture two vectors using the cross product is also used to find the area ie: N x M = N*M*sin(A)
i thought that one product was used for area and the other for a different use along the lines of the projection of one vector upon another?
I don't know the geometric meaning of the cross product, but one property is that the resulting vector is always perpendicular to both original vectors. So for example, when dealing with surfaces you can find the normal vector by cross-product-ing two independent vectors on the surface itself.

The dot product is not used to find area. As Chen said, it is the length of the projection.

The magnitude of the cross product is the area of a parallelogram described by the two vectors.

cookiemonster

1. What is the main cause of confusion between products?

The main cause of confusion between products is often due to similarities in packaging, branding, or product names. This can lead to customers mistakenly purchasing the wrong product or becoming unsure of which product is the best fit for their needs.

2. How can companies prevent confusion between their products?

Companies can prevent confusion between their products by creating distinct packaging and branding for each product, using clear and unique product names, and providing detailed and accurate product descriptions and information to customers.

3. How does confusion between products impact a company's sales and reputation?

Confusion between products can have a negative impact on a company's sales and reputation. Customers who purchase the wrong product due to confusion may be dissatisfied and less likely to make future purchases. It can also damage a company's reputation if customers feel they have been misled or if there are frequent complaints about product confusion.

4. Are there any legal implications for companies if their products are confused with another brand's products?

There can be legal implications for companies if their products are confused with another brand's products. This can lead to trademark infringement lawsuits, which can be costly and damaging to a company's reputation.

5. How can companies address and resolve confusion between their products?

Companies can address and resolve confusion between their products by conducting market research to identify potential areas of confusion, implementing clear and distinct branding and packaging, and addressing any customer concerns or complaints promptly and effectively.