Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion from Weinberg's QFT

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    Hello, a confusion has arose during my so far study of the above book.

According to the composition rule (2.3.11) it should be: [itex]U\left( \Lambda ,a \right)=U\left( \mathbf{1},a \right)U\left( \Lambda \right)[/itex] and according to transformation law (2.5.3) and the eigenvalue equation which follows (2.5.1), it should be:

[itex]U\left( \Lambda ,a \right){{\Psi }_{p,\sigma }}={{e}^{-i\left( \Lambda p \right)\cdot a}}\sum\limits_{{{\sigma }'}}{{{C}_{{\sigma }'\sigma }}\left( \Lambda ,p \right){{\Psi }_{\Lambda p,{\sigma}' }}}[/itex]​

Right? If yes, then my question is: how are the above compatible with eq. (3.1.1), since the phase factor that appears in the beginning of the RHS of this equation, contains the untrasformed four-momentums of the particles? Shouldn’t the phase of this factor be the following:

[itex]-i{{a}_{\mu }}\left[ {{\left( \Lambda {{p}_{1}} \right)}^{\mu }}+{{\left( \Lambda {{p}_{2}} \right)}^{\mu }}+... \right][/itex]
    ???

Thank' s in advance for your replies

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Isn't that what it is? That's what it says in my book. Maybe there was a misprint that got corrected.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    Then obviously my print has some mistakes. Thank’ s a lot Bill_K , now I can continue my study…

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook