Understanding the Confusion in Stoke's Theorem Formulas

In summary, the line integral of the boundary of a surface is equal to the surface integral of the curl vector. However, for vector fields, the formula becomes the integral of F(C(t))*||C'(T)||.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Hello, this isn't a specific problem but a part I am confused about in Stoke's theorem. In my text the section on Line integrals (if C(t) is the parameterization of the curve) as the integral of F(C(t))*C'(t) but for vector fields the formula becomes the integral of F(C(t))*||C'(T)|| now I understand this but when I got to Stoke's theorem it says The line integral of the boundary of a surface is equal to the surface integral of the curl vector. However In every example I have seen in my text the F is a vector field so I figured that the line integral should be defined as the integral of F(C(t))*||C'(T)|| but it is the integral of F(C(t))*C'(t) can anyone clear this up for me please if you don't understand my question please ask I will try to reword it more clearly! Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent1 said:
Hello, this isn't a specific problem but a part I am confused about in Stoke's theorem. In my text the section on Line integrals (if C(t) is the parameterization of the curve) as the integral of F(C(t))*C'(t)
Ok so this is for general line integrals of vector functions.

but for vector fields the formula becomes the integral of F(C(t))*||C'(T)||
This is the formula for line integrals of scalar fields, not vector fields.

However In every example I have seen in my text the F is a vector field so I figured that the line integral should be defined as the integral of F(C(t))*||C'(T)|| but it is the integral of F(C(t))*C'(t) can anyone clear this up for me please if you don't understand my question please ask I will try to reword it more clearly! Thanks!
As above.

thanks a lot for clearing this up

one more thing, just exactly how could I tell the differnece between a scalar function and a vector function?

Eg.
A scalar function of 3 variables gives you a single (scalar) value [tex]f(x,y,z) = x + y + z[/tex] for every point (x,y,z).

A vector function of 3 variables gives you a vector: [tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y,z) = x \mathbf{i} + y\mathbf{j} + z\mathbf{k}[/tex] for every point (x,y,z)

oh that makes sense thanks the other definitions I found online I couldn't really understand but this clears it up well.

1. What is Stoke's theorem?

Stoke's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of its corresponding curl over the boundary of the surface.

2. What is the importance of Stoke's theorem?

Stoke's theorem is important because it allows us to evaluate complicated surface integrals by converting them into simpler line integrals. This makes it a useful tool in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. What is the difference between Stoke's theorem and Green's theorem?

Stoke's theorem is a higher-dimensional generalization of Green's theorem, which only applies to two-dimensional regions. While Green's theorem relates a line integral over a region to a double integral over the region's interior, Stoke's theorem relates a surface integral over a region to a line integral over the region's boundary.

4. How do you use Stoke's theorem to solve problems?

To use Stoke's theorem to solve a problem, you first need to identify a vector field and a surface over which you want to evaluate the surface integral. Then, you can use the formula from Stoke's theorem to convert the surface integral into a line integral over the boundary of the surface. Finally, you can evaluate the line integral and use the result to find the value of the original surface integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stoke's theorem?

Stoke's theorem has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in the development of computer graphics and animation, as well as in numerical methods for solving differential equations.