Solving for Vr and VL in an RLC Circuit

In summary, the conversation involved a student asking for help with a question involving finding the voltage across a resistor and inductor using different formulas. The expert provided guidance and clarification on the concepts of impedance, voltage and current in AC circuits, as well as definitions for voltage in a capacitor and inductor. They also helped the student understand how to interpret a graph and correctly solved the question.
k31453

Homework Statement

Hi i got this question ?

have to find Vr and VL

so can i use this formula :

VR = IR
VL = I * XL?

confuse ?? need help ??

am i on right track?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Impedance is used for AC circuits, when the current and voltage have sinusoidal time dependence. Here the time dependence of the current is different from a sine function. Go back to the definition of the voltage across a capacitor (in terms of charge) and inductor (in terms of derivative of current).

ehild

ehild said:
Impedance is used for AC circuits, when the current and voltage have sinusoidal time dependence. Here the time dependence of the current is different from a sine function. Go back to the definition of the voltage across a capacitor (in terms of charge) and inductor (in terms of derivative of current).

ehild

so answer is 0.002 * (20/1) = 0.04 for Vl

right?

k31453 said:

right?

? You have to show the time dependence of voltages. The answer is not a number.

ehild

ehild said:
? You have to show the time dependence of voltages. The answer is not a number.

ehild

whaaattt?

are you kidding mee !

need help please !

I try to help and I am not kidding. Read the problem text, please. ehild

ehild said:
I try to help and I am not kidding. Read the problem text, please.

ehild

yeah i know its time dependency .. this is the graph for voltage in inductor vs time in ms

You sent the plot of voltage across the resistor. The shape is correct, but watch out the magnitude. The current is given in A (ampers) The resistance is 2Ω. What is the maximum voltage across the resistor?
What about the inductor?

ehild

ehild said:
You sent the plot of voltage across the resistor. The shape is correct, but watch out the magnitude. The current is given in A (ampers) The resistance is 2Ω. What is the maximum voltage across the resistor?
What about the inductor?

ehild

Got it right?

No, your diagrams are not correct.

Can you write the general expressions (definitions) relating voltage and current for a resistor and an inductor?

k31453 said:
Got it right?

No. The maximum voltage for the resistor is about right now, but the shape is not. You remember Ohm's Law: The voltage across the resistor is U=IR, proportional to the current. The shape of the U(t) function follows the shape of I(t).

As for the inductor, remember Faraday's law about induced emf in a coil and inductance. How was it defined?

ehild

I know deal with resistor but i have no clue about inductor

The voltage across the inductor is U=L(dI/dt) (it is proportional to the time derivative of the current). Determine the derivatives at the different sections and multiply by L.

ehild

Along with U=L(dI/dt) , We should point out that the voltage across the capacitor v = (1/C) integral (i(t)) and of course voltage across the resistor is v = IR. The plot of current is simple enough that taking the integral or the derivative is simple.

k31453 said:

right?

I agree with you. If the graph is current against time then this is the voltage across the inductor for the first part of the graph AND the last part of the graph. This voltage will be constant over these time intervals.
For the middle part it will be -0.04V.
For the flat bits of the graph there is no change of current with time...what will the voltage across the inductor be ??

Last edited:
technician said:
I agree with you. If the graph is current against time then this is the voltage across the inductor for the first part of the graph AND the last part of the graph. This voltage will be constant over these time intervals.
For the middle part it will be -0.04V.
For the flat bits of the graph there is no change of current with time...what will the voltage across the inductor be ??

The current changes 2 A in 1 ms,( Edit:20 A in 1 ms) so the voltage on the inductor is not 0.04 V.

ehild

Last edited:
It looks to me like 20A in 1ms ...

technician said:
It looks to me like 20A in 1ms ...

I lost a zero, thanks. I edit the previous post. But still, UL is not right.

ehild

ehild said:
The current changes 2 A in 1 ms,( Edit:20 A in 1 ms) so the voltage on the inductor is not 0.04 V.

ehild

so it will be this graph right because di/dt is derivitve !

k31453 said:
so it will be this graph right because di/dt is derivitve !

Excellent! Good solution, nice picture. (Only the unit V is missing from the vertical axis.)

ehild

ehild said:
Excellent! Good solution, nice picture. (Only the unit V is missing from the vertical axis.)

ehild

Yeah i solve the question but i forget how i did it and why is like that !?

:(:cry:

Go to post #13:smile:

ehild

ehild said:
Go to post #13:smile:

ehild

gotchya for 1 ms liner becomes flat and than flat becomes no gradient follow on right?

The flat part has zero gradient so zero induced voltages.

ehild

ehild said:
The flat part has zero gradient so zero induced voltages.

ehild

Nice ! thanks for all the help !

You are welcome.:smile:

ehild

1. What is a Confusion RLC circuit?

A Confusion RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of three components - a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series and can create a variety of complex behaviors and responses depending on their values and the applied voltage or current.

2. How does a Confusion RLC circuit work?

In a Confusion RLC circuit, the resistor limits the flow of current, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. When an alternating current (AC) is applied to the circuit, the inductor and capacitor can interact and create oscillations, resulting in a variety of behaviors such as resonance, filtering, and frequency-dependent responses.

3. What is the difference between a Confusion RLC circuit and a regular RLC circuit?

The main difference between a Confusion RLC circuit and a regular RLC circuit is that the values of the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) in a Confusion RLC circuit are not fixed and can vary, leading to more complex behaviors and responses. In a regular RLC circuit, the values of the components are typically fixed and chosen for specific purposes.

4. What are some real-world applications of Confusion RLC circuits?

Confusion RLC circuits have a wide range of applications, including in electronic filters, oscillators, and frequency-selective networks. They are also commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, audio amplifiers, and power supplies. In addition, Confusion RLC circuits are essential in the design of electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

5. How can I calculate the behavior of a Confusion RLC circuit?

The behavior of a Confusion RLC circuit can be calculated using various mathematical techniques, depending on the specific circuit configuration and desired response. One common approach is to use differential equations to model the circuit and then solve them using techniques such as Laplace transforms or circuit analysis software. It is also important to understand the fundamentals of RLC circuits and how the values of the components affect the behavior of the circuit.