1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with the gas constant!

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    For the ideal gas law and van der waals eq'n, R can be a) 8.3145J/(k*mol) or b) 0.082058(L*atm)/(k*mol) . But if I use the first value of R, and try to solve for P my value always comes out as about 1000 smaller than it should be in Pa(ie/ it should be 2000 but it gives me 2). If I use the 2nd value, my value comes out in atm which is okay. But I cant use this value in another eq'n I need, so I don't want to use it. Is the ideal gas law supposed to be in kPa?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2
    hey,

i think since the gas constant is being used to calculate pressure...it should be the .082058(L*atm)/(k*mol)

the other one is for thermodynamics...it's units include the energy (J)

correct me if im wrong

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    gas constants

the gas constant is either 0.08206L*atm/(K*mol) or 8.314L*kPa/(K*mol)

you should be able to use either or. i personally like to use kPa, but if you want to use atm, you could always convert from atm to kPa and the other way around using the equality 1atm = 101.3kPa.

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4
    i disagree because one gas constant is used for thermo problems (heat and energy) and the other is for pressure probs...There is a definite difference between the two numbers

6. Oct 6, 2006 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WRONG!!!! Units of the gas constant are energy per amount of substance per unit temperature; pressure x volume = energy. So long as one is consistent with units throughout a problem, one gets the "same" answer regardless of "which" gas constant one uses.

7. Oct 6, 2006 #6
    well, yeah thats what i meant when i posted previous response...I was definitely implying units of measurements!--if they give a pressure (atm, kpa, etc) or energy (J, kj...) keep consistent by using the appropriate gas constant

thinking back at my prev response...i can see it's sorta half wrong because i didnt set a stipulation for using a gas constant--my bad :redface: :wink:...
    they're not different because they're both gas constants
    PS: i havent had much experience with vander's law, but ive definitely plugged things into it...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. Oct 7, 2006 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

0.08205783 L*atm/(K*mol)
    8.314472 kPa*dm3/(K*mol)
    8,314472 L*kPa/(K*mol)
    8.314472 J/(mol*K)
    62,3637 L*mmHg/(K*mol)
    83,14472 L*mbar/(K*mol)
    1.987216 cal/(K*mol)

or something :wink:

9. Oct 7, 2006 #8
    pwned

or something...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?