Confusion with the gas constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the different values of the gas constant (R) that can be used in the ideal gas law and van der Waals equation. The first value of R is 8.3145J/(k*mol), while the second value is 0.082058(L*atm)/(k*mol). It is mentioned that using the first value of R gives a smaller value for pressure (in Pa) than expected, while the second value gives a value in atm which may not be suitable for other equations. The conversation also touches on the units of R and how it should be used consistently throughout a problem.
leaf345
For the ideal gas law and van der waals eq'n, R can be a) 8.3145J/(k*mol) or b) 0.082058(L*atm)/(k*mol) . But if I use the first value of R, and try to solve for P my value always comes out as about 1000 smaller than it should be in Pa(ie/ it should be 2000 but it gives me 2). If I use the 2nd value, my value comes out in atm which is okay. But I can't use this value in another eq'n I need, so I don't want to use it. Is the ideal gas law supposed to be in kPa?

Physics news on Phys.org
leaf345 said:
For the ideal gas law and van der waals eq'n, R can be a) 8.3145J/(k*mol) or b) 0.082058(L*atm)/(k*mol) . But if I use the first value of R, and try to solve for P my value always comes out as about 1000 smaller than it should be in Pa(ie/ it should be 2000 but it gives me 2). If I use the 2nd value, my value comes out in atm which is okay. But I can't use this value in another eq'n I need, so I don't want to use it. Is the ideal gas law supposed to be in kPa?

hey,

i think since the gas constant is being used to calculate pressure...it should be the .082058(L*atm)/(k*mol)

the other one is for thermodynamics...it's units include the energy (J)

correct me if I am wrong

gas constants

the gas constant is either 0.08206L*atm/(K*mol) or 8.314L*kPa/(K*mol)

you should be able to use either or. i personally like to use kPa, but if you want to use atm, you could always convert from atm to kPa and the other way around using the equality 1atm = 101.3kPa.

gradeaswimr said:
the gas constant is either 0.08206L*atm/(K*mol) or 8.314L*kPa/(K*mol)

you should be able to use either or. i personally like to use kPa, but if you want to use atm, you could always convert from atm to kPa and the other way around using the equality 1atm = 101.3kPa.

i disagree because one gas constant is used for thermo problems (heat and energy) and the other is for pressure probs...There is a definite difference between the two numbers

cheechnchong said:
i disagree because one gas constant is used for thermo problems (heat and energy) and the other is for pressure probs...There is a definite difference between the two numbers

WRONG! Units of the gas constant are energy per amount of substance per unit temperature; pressure x volume = energy. So long as one is consistent with units throughout a problem, one gets the "same" answer regardless of "which" gas constant one uses.

Bystander said:
WRONG! Units of the gas constant are energy per amount of substance per unit temperature; pressure x volume = energy. So long as one is consistent with units throughout a problem, one gets the "same" answer regardless of "which" gas constant one uses.

well, yeah that's what i meant when i posted previous response...I was definitely implying units of measurements!--if they give a pressure (atm, kpa, etc) or energy (J, kj...) keep consistent by using the appropriate gas constant

thinking back at my prev response...i can see it's sort of half wrong because i didnt set a stipulation for using a gas constant--my bad :redface: :wink:...
they're not different because they're both gas constants
PS: i haven't had much experience with vander's law, but I've definitely plugged things into it...

Last edited:
0.08205783 L*atm/(K*mol)
8.314472 kPa*dm3/(K*mol)
8,314472 L*kPa/(K*mol)
8.314472 J/(mol*K)
62,3637 L*mmHg/(K*mol)
83,14472 L*mbar/(K*mol)
1.987216 cal/(K*mol)

or something :wink:

Borek said:
0.08205783 L*atm/(K*mol)
8.314472 kPa*dm3/(K*mol)
8,314472 L*kPa/(K*mol)
8.314472 J/(mol*K)
62,3637 L*mmHg/(K*mol)
83,14472 L*mbar/(K*mol)
1.987216 cal/(K*mol)

or something :wink:

Borek
--
General Chemistry Software
www.pH-meter.info

pwned

or something...

What is the gas constant?

The gas constant, denoted by the symbol R, is a physical constant that relates the amount of energy contained in a mole of gas particles to the temperature and pressure of the gas.

What is the value of the gas constant?

The value of the gas constant depends on the units used for temperature and pressure. In SI units, the value of R is approximately 8.314 J/mol*K. In other commonly used units, the value of R may vary slightly.

Why is the gas constant important?

The gas constant is important in many scientific calculations involving gases, such as the Ideal Gas Law and the Van der Waals equation. It allows us to relate the macroscopic properties of gases, such as temperature and pressure, to the microscopic behavior of gas particles.

What are the units of the gas constant?

The units of the gas constant vary depending on the units used for temperature and pressure. In SI units, the units of R are J/mol*K. In other commonly used units, the units of R may be expressed as L*atm/mol*K or cm^3*bar/mol*K.

Why is there sometimes confusion with the gas constant?

The confusion with the gas constant may stem from the fact that its value and units can vary depending on the units used for temperature and pressure. Additionally, there are different versions of the gas constant, such as the universal gas constant and the specific gas constant, which may lead to confusion for some individuals.