Confusions/Doubts about EMF & charge difference

In summary: The relationship between the charge difference between two charged bodies and the resulting EMF is not clear and requires further research. Overall, the EMF is a crucial force in determining the interactions between charged particles, but its strength is limited by the presence of other forces. In summary, the EMF between charged particles is described by Coulomb's Law and is a crucial factor in determining their interactions, but its strength is limited by other forces such as the strong nuclear force.
werunom
Hello.

Down below I have listed few questions. I think all of them deal with the same confusion/doubt that I have about EM force [that is why I have clubbed them in one post].
Because of the basic confusions/doubts, I might not have framed the questions clearly. Please correct where ever I have gone wrong.

1. The EM force [EMF] is directly proportional to product of charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. So if that is the case,
>If there is an electron and a proton, the EM force binds them together. So can I say that if there are two protons in the nucleus and a single electron, this electron would be much closer to the nucleus than an electron bound to a single proton?
> going by this, what is the factor which decides the distance between these oppositely charged particles/collections? If distance is zero, then EMF is infinite. This cannot be true since EMF is observable only within a particular range, below which the strong forces are dominant. So what is the reason for this distance factor?

2. If I consider a setup of an electron revolving around a nucleus of two protons, then there is a room for another electron as well. Because, the ion has a net positive charge and it will attract electrons. So it appears that the net charge of the ion has something to do with EMF with which it attracts the electrons.
What is the relationship between charge difference between two charged bodies & the EMF that results because of that? There should be some connection between charge satiation and residual EMF.

3. Hypothetically speaking, an electron has –e and a quark has +1/3e. So if there happens to be a stray quark [hypothetical], is it possible for EMF to exist between these two and because of which the electron pairs with a quark?
And, if that is the case, am I correct in saying that a quark repels another quark electromagnetically; but the strong force overcome this and binds three of them to form a nucleon?

Let me know if I have to explain in detail or paraphrase my questions, if they haven’t been put clearly.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The EMF between two charged particles is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Thus, if there are two protons and one electron in a nucleus, the electron will be much closer to the protons than an electron bound to a single proton because the EMF between the two protons and the electron will be stronger than the EMF between the electron and the proton. The distance between two oppositely charged particles or collections of particles is determined by the product of their charges and the strength of their mutual EMF. If the EMF between them is strong enough, they will be pulled together until they reach a certain distance at which their EMF is balanced by other forces, such as the strong nuclear force.Yes, it is possible for an electron and a quark to be bound together electromagnetically. However, the strong nuclear force is much stronger than the EMF and will generally overpower it. Thus, three quarks will be held together by the strong force to form a nucleon.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is a force that is created by the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is a fundamental force that is responsible for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is EMF different from electric fields?

Electric fields are caused by stationary electric charges, while EMF is created by the movement of these charges. Electric fields are also static, while EMF is dynamic and can change in magnitude and direction.

3. What causes the confusion between EMF and charge difference?

The confusion between EMF and charge difference is often caused by the fact that both involve electric charges. EMF is a force that is created by the movement of charges, while charge difference refers to the difference in the amount of electric charge between two points.

4. Are EMF and charge difference the same thing?

No, EMF and charge difference are not the same thing. As mentioned earlier, EMF is a force that is caused by the movement of electric charges, while charge difference is the difference in the amount of electric charge between two points.

5. Can EMF and charge difference be measured?

Yes, both EMF and charge difference can be measured. EMF can be measured using a voltmeter, while charge difference can be measured using an electrometer. These measurements can help in understanding the behavior of electric charges and their interactions.