Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Congrats Alejandro! (hep-ph posting)

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

Congratulations, Alejandro!

It's good to see a sign of live of him. He has been rather quiet lately.
    I hope to see him some more over here!

Regards, Hans

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3

arivero

Gold Member

I am sorry I will be still a bit silent for an extra interval of time :-( I am trying to learn the basics of Supersymmetry with two goals:

- A generic one, how is it that if a Grassman variable is a kind of infinitesimal, and superfields are functions over Grassman variables, then nobody suggests that the most obvious way to break susy is to make finite the infinitesimal quantity. It that way I could understand the operativity of 5 and 6 dimensional theories.

- A particular one, to try to parner quarks with diquarks via susy transformations. After all, a diquark is a boson. Then by pairing leptons and mesons, Koide could be explained without preons. I sketched a bit of this some months ago.

But in order to fulfill these goals, I need to learn the third volume of Weinberg by heart, and it is taking some time.

As for the recent preprint, it is a fusion of two notes I did in the summer, one of them was rejected at ArXiV and the other one was purely numerical so I did not try. Now the ArXiV was reorganised during Summer and more moderators were added to each area, so I did a retry on the hope of getting some hep-ph'er actually controlling the preprints of hep-th (instead of an asth-physicist taking charge of all, as I suspect it happened during the previous year).

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4
    Great Alejandro, though i did not understand most of your paper's content.

However, can i ask you why you are doing this ? I mean, are you working within some "bigger" ongoing research-project ? If so, shat are the goals of this project ?

regards
    marlon

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5

arivero

Gold Member

marlon, no, the Z0 results were found in random wandering. The only way to see them inside a bigger project is as a hint of the importance of the electroweak breaking scale, perhaps having a more important role than usually thought (except by top-condensation researchers, who had noticed the strange point of having the top sitting there in this energy range).

The Susy research could be more fundamental, because QCD masses are a concept at the reach of lattice calculations, so a SUSY partnership with elementary ones would be a big thing.

About understanding the Z0 paper, take into account it is a fusion of two, for archival and reference purpose. So no effort has been done on readability :-(

7. Nov 16, 2005 #6

Haelfix

Science Advisor

SUSY and lattice QCD are notoriously and famously hard to get to join properly. Grassmanian integration is also computationally very difficult as well (you have to take a sequence of large n determinants)

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7

arivero

Gold Member

Susy

About susy, I raised a brief note this monday.
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0512065
    The point is that if we get the higgs (perhaps some sort of higgs composite) coupling to diquarks equal than to quarks, then we have control of the hierarchy problem. I have no idea if some of the known composite higgs models have this property.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?