What's Next for LisaB? Congratulations LisaB...

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: I'm currently on hols, so I can't complain.In summary, LisaB has just announced that she still has a job despite recent layoffs at her company. She expressed gratitude for still having a job and acknowledged that it is a tough time for those without one. She also mentioned that her job may not fit closely with the core strengths of her lab and that she is relieved to have dodged a bullet. Other members congratulated her and expressed their own concerns about job security and pay cuts. LisaB cannot reveal the exact identity of her company due to witness protection reasons, but she did mention that it is closely tied to the struggling building industry. She also mentioned that she hopes things will turn around soon and that she is happy to
Andre
Congratulations LisaB...

...for still having a job!

Perceptive and observant members may have noticed that Lisa might or might not have a job in the new year.

She has.

Physics news on Phys.org

Grats on not being a bum?

That's good news.

It's rough out there.

Great News!

That's great
applause.gif

Let's hope those without job will find something soon. It will be obviously hard, but let's just assume bottle is still full (in the half).

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats, lisab!

Congrats, lisab! Hang in there.

Borek said:
Let's hope those without job will find something soon. It will be obviously hard, but let's just assume bottle is still full (in the half).

Bottle doesn't stay full that long if one is unemployed and depressed.

Thank you, everyone!

Yes, my company announced a major layoff today - a 20% reduction in personnel. I survived...yay!

I've been very worried because my job doesn't fit closely with the core strengths of our lab.

Whew, dodged a bullet...whew.

Congrats on still having a job! :smile:

lisab said:
Whew, dodged a bullet...whew.

Well, now that is already a Happy New Year. Congrats.

Great news! It is definitely a bad time to be out of work.

Well it's a sign of the times when people are congratulating each other not for getting a job but for not losing one. Hopefully things will look up by the time I've graduated.

Just some curiosity.. on which company do you work?
and congrats :wink:

Sakha said:
Just some curiosity.. on which company do you work?
and congrats :wink:

Sorry, the exact identity is top secret...witness protection program, you know :tongue2:.

It's very, very closely tied to the building industry, which is in freefall right now.

Glad to hear that you've held your position, Lisa. I'm hoping to find something soon, but I'm in no panic about it. While I don't like having W support me, it's a safety net.

Thats good news!

Hi LIsaB. Sorry to hear that your vacation plans were ruined. But if you're happy, then I'm happy too.

What nutter wood rid them selfs of Lisab?

Jobs are nice. I will be finding out if I get to keep mine come March/April. If I am so fortunate as to keep it, I will be working reduced hours and taking a ~20% pay cut (loss of overtime). :grumpy:

Integral said:
Jobs are nice. I will be finding out if I get to keep mine come March/April. If I am so fortunate as to keep it, I will be working reduced hours and taking a ~20% pay cut (loss of overtime). :grumpy:

Whoa...a 20% cut makes my salary freeze seem generous!

Congratulations Lisab, hope things look up for you too Integral.

Great news Lisab! Very happy for you!

Whew.

I survived round 2 of the layoffs today...but one of our technicians didn't :cry:.

Last round (about a month ago), management went for marketing staff. Their (rightly justified) reasoning was that we can't market ourselves out of this mess, so we don't need marketers now.

This time, they targeted more technical staff...yikes! It was as if I felt a bullet whiz by my head.

Whew. Hope this all turns around soon...

Congratulations Lisab!

Congrats!

lisab said:
Whew.

I survived round 2 of the layoffs today...but one of our technicians didn't :cry:.

Last round (about a month ago), management went for marketing staff. Their (rightly justified) reasoning was that we can't market ourselves out of this mess, so we don't need marketers now.

This time, they targeted more technical staff...yikes! It was as if I felt a bullet whiz by my head.

Whew. Hope this all turns around soon...

Hang in there. You may be forced to use some Dilbert tactics to destroy your the competition.

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-03-04/

I just can't imagine the anxiety in the workplace of today. Lots of bullet-dodging. I suppose Kevlar business suits don't help.

Chi Meson said:
I just can't imagine the anxiety in the workplace of today. Lots of bullet-dodging. I suppose Kevlar business suits don't help.

That's exactly right, Chi. There's a lot of tension in the workplace these days...these are difficult times.

Oh...and all (surviving) employees got a 10% pay cut today. Sigh.

Thanks, everyone.

We got a 20% pay cut and twice as much work. There is just no way we can take on this extra workload, it is just not possible. When management told us what is about to be dumped on us, they avoided eye contact, looked at the floor and kept shuffling their feet. They know it's a crock.

edward said:
Hang in there. You may be forced to

eat shoelaces :rofl:

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/40000/2000/000/42030/42030.strip.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Congratulations Lisa. I'm sure you are in the top of the keepers list. Times will get better eventually, it always did.

Fingers crossed, Lisa.

And everyone else.

Oh to be stressed at work.

What is LisaB's next project?

Currently, LisaB is working on a new research project in the field of biomedical engineering. She is focusing on developing new technologies to improve medical treatments for chronic diseases.

Will LisaB continue to publish her findings?

Yes, LisaB is committed to sharing her research findings with the scientific community. She plans to publish her results in peer-reviewed journals and present them at conferences.

What are LisaB's future career goals?

LisaB's ultimate goal is to become a leading expert in her field and make significant contributions to the field of biomedical engineering. She also hopes to mentor and inspire future generations of scientists.

How will LisaB's research impact society?

LisaB's research has the potential to greatly improve medical treatments and ultimately benefit society. By developing new technologies and treatments for chronic diseases, she hopes to improve the quality of life for many individuals.

What challenges does LisaB anticipate in her future research?

LisaB acknowledges that there will be challenges in her future research, such as securing funding and overcoming technical obstacles. However, she is determined to overcome these challenges and continue making progress in her field.