What Should I Include in my Congress Abstract?

• Thread starter Wiemster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Abstract
In summary, when submitting an abstract for a congress or conference, it is important to follow the guidelines provided by the website or organizers. Generally, the abstract should resemble the abstract of a paper in the field and include a summary of the important results. It should also provide motivation for the work, a clear statement of the problem being addressed, and a description of the approach used. It is recommended to include specific details unique to your work, and to keep the abstract concise. Future work and relevant discussion can also be included, but it is important to stick to the word count limit. Looking at previous examples of abstracts can also provide a better understanding of the expectations of the scientific committee.
Wiemster
There is this congress for which I would like to submit an abstract. Authors of accepted abstracts will be invited to write a full paper which will be published in a preceeding series and will be indexed in isi. Now I was wondering what exactly is expected from such an abstract?

Is it comparable to the abstract of the accompanying paper, with maybe a little bit more introduction to the subject, but still giving the main results. Or is it supposed to be a description of the performed work and as such should describe in general terms the experiments/simulations etc performed without giving the main results?

I would much appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually the conference/congress website will specify of what they are looking for in the abstract - although sometimes this is limited to word count and format.

In general it should be like the abstract of a paper in the field and should include a summary of the important results. It's not a teaser, it's a summary. Depending on your word count, start out with the motivation - why you're doing the work and why anyone would be interested. Include a specific statement of the promblem your work is addressing. Summarize the approach you used. Include specific details that are unique about your approach. (If it's a Monte Carlo simulation for example, the reader won't be interested in an overview of Monte Carlo integration from the manual.) Then outline the significant findings. Relevant discussion and the direction of future work can be included if you want to fill out the rest of your word count, but in general less is more.

You should be able to dig up abstracts from previous years to get a feeling for what the scientific committee is expecting.

Nope, no examples and also no specifications besides word-count. Your description thus helps a lot!

1. What is the purpose of a Congress abstract?

The purpose of a Congress abstract is to concisely summarize your research and findings to potential attendees and organizers of a scientific conference. It is often used as a basis for selecting presentations for the conference and can also serve as a record of your work.

2. What should be included in a Congress abstract?

A Congress abstract should include a brief introduction to your research topic, the objectives or research questions, a summary of your methods, key results, and a conclusion or implications of your findings. It should also include your name, affiliation, and contact information.

3. How long should a Congress abstract be?

The length of a Congress abstract can vary, but it is typically limited to 250-300 words. This word count includes all sections such as the introduction, methods, results, and conclusion. It is important to adhere to the word limit to ensure your abstract is concise and to the point.

4. Is it necessary to include graphs or tables in a Congress abstract?

Including graphs or tables in a Congress abstract is not necessary, but it can be helpful in visually presenting your results. However, it is important to keep in mind the word limit and ensure that the graph or table is clear and easy to understand.

5. How can I make my Congress abstract stand out?

To make your Congress abstract stand out, it is important to focus on the clarity and impact of your research. Use concise language, avoid jargon, and highlight the significance of your findings. Additionally, consider using visuals such as graphs or tables to make your abstract more visually appealing and memorable.