1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Congruence question

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let p = 7, 13, or 19. Show that [tex] a^{1728} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/tex] for all a such that p does not divide a.
    2. Relevant equations

Fermat's little theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to show this. Any quick help or examples?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, since you state "Fermat's little theorem" as a "relevant equation" it might be a good idea to write that out and see what happens. (There are two common forms of it- one is "more relevant" than the other.)

You might also want to calculate what 1728 (mod 7), 1728 (mod 13) and 1728 (mod 19) are.

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    Yeah so if you take 1728 (mod 7), 1728 (mod 13) and 1728 (mod 19), you get 6,12,18. And if you plug them in to Fermat's theorem, you get [tex] a^{6} \equiv 1 (mod \ 7) [/tex] and so on. This certainly follows Fermat's theorem of the form [tex] a^{p-1} \equiv 1 (mod \ p) [/tex] but so what? What have I really shown? I don't think I've shown much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?