1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Congruence transformation

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1
    i was reading goldstein (oscillations)

in it, it is said that

Va = (lambda)*Ta

where V is the potential energy matrix, T is the kinetic eneregy matrix, lambda is an eigenvalue and a is the corresponding eigenvector(of displacement from equilibrium)

and it is said that the matrix of eigenvectors A diagonalises the matrix V through a congruence transformation A'VA = L
    where L is the diagonal matrix with its diagonal elements as eigenvalues. and A' is the transpose of A. this equation is solved by taking
    |V-LI| = 0

here I is the identity matrix and 0 is the zero matrix.
    but this secular equation is allowed only when the matrix A diagonalises V through a similarity transformation, isn't it?

it is the equation
    Va = (lambda)*a

which will yield
    |V-LI| = 0 and

not the equation Va = (lambda)*Ta isn't it?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's true. IF a matrix has a "complete set of eigenvectors" (there exist a basis for the vetor space consisting of eigenvectors of the matrix), THEN the matrix A, having those eigenvectors as columns, diagonalizes V: A-1VA= L. Notice that I used A-1 rather than A'. Of course, if we can construct an orthonomal basis of eigenvectors, then A will be an orthogonal matrix and A-1= A'.

4. Apr 22, 2004 #3
    it's true that A diagonalises V .

but my question is:

since a'Ta = 1 , and not a'a = 1 ,( so that a is not orthogonal)
    isn't A' not equal to (A inverse)??

......by the way, how did you write (A inverse )...the mathematical way?!

5. Apr 23, 2004 #4
    can somebody help me? i have no one to discuss things with as i am studying physics on my own...that's why i put up the question here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?