1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conic Section for the Ellipse

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation for the conic ellipse with vertices (-2,-5) (-2, 4) and foci (-2,-4) (-2,3)

2. Relevant equations

I want to make sure I am solving the problem correctly

3. The attempt at a solution

(x+2)^2/8 + (y+0.5)^2/20.25 =1

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is some help.

Standard equation for the ellipse you describe begins this way:
    (x-h)^2/b^2+(y-k)^2/a^2=1,
    and a is the semi-major axis length, and a>b.

You gave focus points which are on the line, x=-2, and so consistant with the given major axis being vertical. Checking the vertices you find the value for a is |-5-(4)|*(1/2)=4.5,
    a=4.5

You also find that based on the foci, the center of your ellipse is at x=-2 and y=(-4+3)*(1/2)=-(1/2); or the point for center is (-2, -1/2).

There is a fairly well known relationship between a, c, and the minor axis length b. I leave finding this and the rest of the work to you. A review from a college algebra or intermediate algebra textbook will be very helpful. Give a try first before more help is given - if any needed.

Checking your results again, it seems you mostly or entirely have the right idea; your center point reads correctly in your equation, at least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted