Understanding Conic Sections: Ellipse, Parabola, and Hyperbola Explained

In the case of AC=0, we can either have A=0, C≠0 or A≠0, C=0. Depending on which one of these is true, we either have a parabola (if A=0), or a circle or a line (if C=0).In the case of degenerate cases, there are certain situations where the equation does not represent any of the three conic sections (ellipse, parabola, hyperbola). For example, if A=C=0, the equation becomes Dx+Ey+F=0, which represents a straight line. Another degenerate case is when A=C=0 and D=E=F=0, which represents a point. These
PotatoSalad
Here's the question:
Consider the equation:
Ax^2+Cy^2+Dx+Ey+F=0

Consider the cases AC>0, AC=0 and AC<0 and show that they lead to an ellipse, parabola and hyperbola respectively, except for certain degenerate cases. Discuss these degenerate cases and the curves that arise from them

Don't really know where to start. I can 'prove' it by doing examples but that is not sufficient. Can somebody get me started on answering this question please?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete the squares, and rearrange in the cases where neither A or C are zero.
Then tackle the cases where either A, C or both are zero.

Ok... so I complete the square to:
EDIT: I suck at using LaTeX. Give me a minute...

Ok here it is:
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4413/eqnyo7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the case of non-zero A and C, it is simpler to do it the following way, in order to not get into the silly trouble of square-rooting negative numbers:
[tex]A(x+G)^{2}+C(y+H)^{2}=I, G=\frac{D}{2A}, H=\frac{E}{2C}, I=AG^{2}+CH^{2}-F[/tex]

Last edited:

What are conic sections?

Conic sections are curves that can be formed by intersecting a cone with a plane at different angles. These curves are categorized into three types: ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola.

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a conic section that is formed when a plane intersects a cone at an angle that is less than the angle of the cone's base. It is a closed curve that resembles a flattened circle and has two foci, which are the two fixed points inside the ellipse that determine its shape.

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a conic section that is formed when a plane intersects a cone parallel to one of its sides. It is a symmetrical curve that has one focus, which is the point on the curve that is equidistant from the directrix, a fixed line outside the curve.

What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a conic section that is formed when a plane intersects a cone at an angle that is greater than the angle of the cone's base. It is an open curve that has two branches and two foci, which are the two fixed points inside the curve that determine its shape.

What are the real-world applications of conic sections?

Conic sections have various real-world applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and architecture. Some examples include satellite orbits (ellipses), parabolic mirrors (parabolas), and the shape of cooling towers (hyperbolas).